This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Course elevation oddities

I just created and saved a course in connect.garmin.com. The elevation gain on the web site shows as 1894 feet. I downloaded to my computer as a gpx file, then copied to the Edge 1030, and the course shows an elevation gain of 0 feet. As an alternative, I used Garmin Connect on my iPhone connect to transfer the course to my Edge 1030 (under a slightly different course name) and it shows an elevation gain of 4308 feet.

It seems odd that the elevation gains don't match at all.

The Edge is on firmware 5.0. Garmin Connect on my iPhone is the most current version.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • All, let’s be constructive please. I posted the link to the course as requested. I hope someone has useful advice, or it it is a bug, that the information posted is helpful to resolving the bug quickly.

• Thanks I will take a look. Would you mind also giving me access to the ride file from when you did this route as well. You can PM it to me if you don't wish to post it.
  • Thanks for looking Alan. Here is the fit file for the actual ride. My procedure for sending this file was as follows: allow the 1030 to upload the ride to connect.garmin.com, then use the web site to export as original.
  • Alan, checking in ... did the files show something useful to uncover the problem?

Thanks
  • It showed that both the value generated by GC and the adjusted value produced by the Edge are not that close to the value computed during the ride. I have passed this data on to Garmin.

There are a couple of things going on. One is the quality of the DEM data used by GC and the second is how elevation gain is computed using that data.

I will create some courses near me that I can run some tests on.

Elevation values are in meters. [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD]Garmin Connect[/TD]
    [TD]Edge 1030 Course[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Elevation gain[/TD]
    [TD]577[/TD]
    [TD]1313[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Activity gain[/TD]
    [TD]875[/TD]
    [TD]875[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Delta[/TD]
    [TD]Under by 298 (66%)[/TD]
    [TD]Over by 438 (150%)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  • Thanks Alan. Once you submit data like this to Garmin, what is typically the next step?
  • Hi, after some rides to the top of mountains I had the impression the edge 1030 shows the correct level during the tour but in Connect shows lower values - but I was not shure.

Now I found a picture where I can read the altitude (1899m) and compared it with GC: Connect shows a lower value: 1861m.

How can that be?
    And how can I correct this?
    I would like to see the correct altitude at GC!
  • this only happens to my if i import a course via garmin connect. the elevation data on my edge 520 and forerunner945 is ridiculous. if i import the same course via the komoot connect iq app, the original elevation data that also feeds into climbpro is correct. that's why i am using this workaround. something with gamins algorithm is broken?! i am also seeing these spikes on the elevation profile.

i also started a discussion - including pictures here: 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/garmin-launches-strava-komoot-route-sync-works-on-devices-a-decade-old.html#comment-3562253