This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Passing over highway on bridge, drops speed, why?

On my final stretch of road on many rides I pass over a highway, on a bridge (It's a sprint to the city limit sign, so it's really annoying to get freak stats). Every time speed just drops when passing over the highway, I have attached a screenshot from garmin connect displaying the problem I'm facing. I have the Garmin 1030, I also have the Garmin Speed Sensor connected (PART NUMBER: 010-12103-00). Why is this happening especially with the speed sensor?

Can anyone from Garmin or other person with perfect brains explain this?

This forum doesn't work properly, it's not possible to attach files in any way or form.

Here is a link to the picture: http://x0.se/dropspeed.png ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1338833.png
  • Pass the microscope! (The picture is too small.)
  • Pass the microscope! (The picture is too small.)

Hmm I uploaded 900x500px png, but this forum made it microscopic friendly, only....
  • This usually means you're getting speed from GPS and not your sensor. A quick test would be to turn of GPS and see if you can still see speed data. If you do not, then it means your sensor is not working properly.

Do you have a magnet style sensor? If so I would make sure the magnets have not gotten out of alignment. Otherwise, ensure you battery hasn't died, etc.
  • Post a link to the activity file.
  • I usually just lift the wheel off the ground and spin it. If I see speed change, I know my speed sensor is working.
  • I have only done a few rides with my 1030 and have not noticed this, but on my 800 it was pause and immediately restart at the middle of almost every bridge I went over. I never tried to figure out why. Must have been going up the bridge so fast it thought I was going vertical and forward motion stopped ;)
  • Garmin Speed Sensor is connected and working alright, never had this problem with the Edge 1000, same speed sensor. It looks like the GPS has preference to the speed sensor when I comes to speed. Why I don't know, what is the point of the speed sensor if so? There is now a link to the full size image so no point of sharing link, or by the way speed the wheel... if there would be a problem with the sensor when the 1030 says it's connected and battery OK there would be another Garmin problem to handle if that was not true.
  • The fit file might reveal more of what went on.

The devices are supposed to prefer the speed sensor (for speed and distance traveled).
  • Well the 1030, with 3.90 doesn't, when It comes to logging and displaying speed at least. Distance is affected by the sensor, to some extent at least.
  • Well it's not possible to upload it here.... Looks to be all sorts of problems with this forum...

Your file of 284931 bytes exceeds the limit of 3058. 2648891419.fit