This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Switching Route recalculation to OFF does not work

Hi

I need to be able to follow a pre-defined GPX track without having the device continuously trying to recalculate a route because it thinks I should rather be on some road on the map. Unfortunately setting the Route recalculation to "OFF" does not seem to work and the unit constantly pops up a "Route recalculation Error. No routable roads on the map". Then another window pops up offering to do a "Straight Line" navigation. The only solution that I have found is to turn the "Off Course Warnings" to "OFF". This is less than ideal as the "Off Course" warning if I deviate from the pre-defined GPX track are very useful. Surely setting the recalculation to "OFF" should prevent the device from attempting to recalculate the route.
  • What Routing Mode do you have selected in the Navigation settings for the Activity Profile you are using?
  • Settings are:-
    Popularity routing - Off
    Routing mode = Mountain biking also tried Road biking
    Clculation mode - Minimize distance
    Lock on road - Off
    Avoidance setup - all off
    Recalculation - Off

• If you are following a course (pre-defined GPX track) then most of the settings at post #3 shouldn't have any effect.

"No routable roads on the map" seem to suggest a map issue. What detailed map(s) are enabled?

Cheers, Peter
  • I need to be able to follow a pre-defined GPX track without having the device continuously trying to recalculate a route because it thinks I should rather be on some road on the map.

It sound like your gpx track isn't following roads on the map.

If that's the case, you need to turn off "turn guidance" (the big white arrows) so that it does try to calculate a route in the first place.

It seems your problem isn't turning recalculation off. It's that it can't calculate a route in the first place.
  • If you are following a course (pre-defined GPX track) then most of the settings at post #3 shouldn't have any effect.

"No routable roads on the map" seem to suggest a map issue. What detailed map(s) are enabled?

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for the response. I use the supplied maps based on OSM and/or the OpenMTB maps which are also based on OSM. I am also an active contributor to OSM so do my best to add missing roads/tracks/paths where possible.

I know that in places the GPX track does not follow roads on any of the maps. In many cases there are no roads so there will never be roads to follow. That is the very reason that I need to follow a track and not roads on a map. All I need is the functionality that I have used in various GPS units over the last 10 or 15 years where you could load a GPX track and then follow it. Later devices have included a warning if you went off course and you could look at the display and see how to get back onto the track. More recently the functionality to give "distance/time to destination" etc has been added and is very useful. On early devices there was no mapping capability at all but you could still follow a pre defined GPX track much like a "track back" feature.

I think the issue here is that turning recalculation OFF does not work and if that was fixed the problem would be solved.

• Thank you both for your responses. Turn guidance is disabled. The GPX track does traverse areas where there are no roads on the map or on the ground. This is the very reason that I need to be able to follow the GPX track and not have the device attempt to recalculate a route using roads on the map. i.e. Recalculation should not occur when it is turned OFF. I use maps supplied with the device and/or the OpenMTB maps both of which are based on OSM. I am also an active contributor to OSM and add roads/tracks/paths where possible. Unfortunately some of my trips traverse areas where there are no roads or paths and hence the necessity to follow a GPX track rather than a road.

I have use various ETREX, GPSMap and EDGE products in the past and have always had this functionality. Even the most basic devices without any map capabilities have had the ability to follow a "breadcrumb" GPX file.

If switching recalculation OFF did just that the problem would be solved. Surely one should not get an error "recalculating route" if "recalculate route" is set to OFF.
  • Turning "turn guidance" and recalculation off should work.

Turning "turn guidance" off should be sufficient.

It it has nothing to do with the maps installed.

You shouldn't need maps at all.
  • Settings are:-
    Popularity routing - Off
    Routing mode = Mountain biking also tried Road biking
    Clculation mode - Minimize distance
    Lock on road - Off
    Avoidance setup - all off
    Recalculation - Off

There's an Activity Profile bug in the E1000, which was never fixed & means in certain situations the E1000 uses the Routing Mode settings for Road Cycling, regardless of the Routing Mode set in the Activity Profile used. I was thinking this may have been transferred over to the E1030.
    Since you've already tried using the Road Cycling mode it probably isn't the problem in this case
  • Hi eltonp,

have you tried the "Always Display" option? I mean, go to to Navigation -> Courses -> Saved Courses -> "Course Name" -> Settings -> Always Displays

That option allows you to watch your track in the map, simply and only as a line. So, the E1030 doesn't use the navigation mode and neither the recalculation mechanism or off-course warnings. I think this the option you need to develop maps.

King regards.