This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Corrupted FIT file activity

Hi, I had a ride yesterday and when I finished it my Edge declared on a new elevation record and stopped responding. After a minute I understood this is not going anywhere and none of the buttons worked so I did a reset by holding the power button for a couple of seconds. After that the activity wasn't uploaded from the device and even though I can see that I made this ride (see the time and distance) I can't get into the details of it. When I came back home I tried to upload with the Garmin connect but I got a message the file is corrupted so I tried to use some Fit file fixers over the net but none of them seems to fix it in a way that I will be able to upload it to the Garmin connect (even though one of the fixer created a file that allowed me to upload to Strava with a small missing part at the end of the activity - I tried http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ - Failed, https://www.fitfiletools.com/ - File was good for Strava but not for Garmin Connect).
Any other suggestion how to fix it so I will be able to see the activity in Garmin connect and in the Edge itself.

• Fit files with a "small missing part at the end" can usually fixed by fitfilerepairtool - it is a WIN-based program which you have to pay for.
    But you can post your fit-file here and somebody (with that tool) will fix it for you.
  • Attaching the FIT file..
  • Give this file a try...
    (I managed to upload it to my GC-account...)

• Thanks for your help!
    Imported to Garmin connect and to the Edge. There are some missing measurement but overall it's working!
    Thanks again,
    Gal
  • I had the situation today where GCM on my phone uploaded the fit file without any problem when I ended the ride on arriving home, but when I connected the 1030 to my PC to charge it, GE put up an error msgbox saying: "Some files could not the uploaded to Garmin Connect. You may want the manually remove these files from your device.", and gave the path to today's fit file with the notation "(invalid file)". When I look at the uploaded ride on Garmin Connect, all the details are there as normal, so it doesn't seem that the file is actually corrupt.
  • Hi, I had a ride yesterday and when I finished it my Edge declared on a new elevation record and stopped responding. After a minute I understood this is not going anywhere and none of the buttons worked so I did a reset by holding the power button for a couple of seconds. After that the activity wasn't uploaded from the device and even though I can see that I made this ride (see the time and distance) I can't get into the details of it. When I came back home I tried to upload with the Garmin connect but I got a message the file is corrupted so I tried to use some Fit file fixers over the net but none of them seems to fix it in a way that I will be able to upload it to the Garmin connect (even though one of the fixer created a file that allowed me to upload to Strava with a small missing part at the end of the activity - I tried http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ - Failed, https://www.fitfiletools.com/ - File was good for Strava but not for Garmin Connect).
    Any other suggestion how to fix it so I will be able to see the activity in Garmin connect and in the Edge itself.

I've had the same thing happen three or four times now, really annoying. I think it's related to the general bugginess of the BT communications between the 1030 and the phone. I've had the 1030 hard lock at other times, but it's the worst when it happens while the FIT file is apparently still being saved in the background and gets corrupted. This is the first Edge I've owned (going back all the way to the 500) that has ever lots training data like this. Garmin has really dropped the ball with the 1030 on the reliability front. I know there were a lot of similar complaints when the 1000 came out, but I never had even close to as many problems with the 1000 compared to the 1030.
  • hi raseyeg,

Answered in the other thread you posted. Please don't double post as it can make it confusing for those of us who work to fix the files.

cheers
    Mike
  • Thanks. Sorry about the double post.
  • hi Peter,

Give this file a try.

cheers
    Mike
  • Thanks Mike...it works! Any idea why this happens?