This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 Random Shutdowns During Rides

Brand new Edge 1030. Previous device Edge 1000.

1030 virtually unusable at the moment as it is completely unreliable.
On one ride it will be fine for 2+ hours and then shut down 3 or 4 times in the next 5 minutes.
On another ride the shutdowns will begin immediately - perhaps 8 minutes into the ride and then repeatedly over and over again.

I have updated the device to the latest beta software 3.85.
Also had installed 3.83.
Device came with 3.80 installed.
Outcome is always the same.

What can I expect for a fix for this problem?
Have been following the forum here but no fix seems imminent.

Have stopped using my 1030 and gone back to my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.
Would really prefer the Edge.

John
  • There are problems with Bluetooth on.
    Garmin is working on it.
    Meanwhile you should use your Edge 1030 with BT off (phone disconnected), then the Edge works fine.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I failed to mention that I had disabled Bluetooth earlier in my troubleshooting process and the failures continued. Will try again now that 3.9 is installed.
  • Could you post the Garmin\Debugging\err_log.txt file?
  • Last two rides random shutdowns.. Let me rephrase, one random reboot, one random shutdown. 1030 continues to be junk. Reach out to me privately if you want log files. I remain pissed that you convinced me to keep this crap. Shawn-Garmin
  • John, I had the same issue so I disconnected phone , it stopped the random shut downs, I have since started using it with phone back on as I need livetrack for safety. The last few updates seem to have fixed the random shutdown for me but now the live track which always worked will not work at all and my speed sensor ( I have now tried 2 units with fresh batteries) gives erratic readings. This is the most expensive bike computer on the market and it is a piece of junk. None of the facilites that I bought this unit for work as advertised. How can it be so bad for this price.
  • Bad weather kept me quiet for a week - but today I was out for a ride again. After 8 minutes of ride time, the 1030 started shutting down and did so 8 times before it settled down. Once it had settled down, it ran without incident for about 70 minutes. Bluetooth is disabled and the iPhone is not connected to the device. I began to think that the problem might be Strava segment related as the shutdowns started to occur at the beginning of a Strava segment. So, I've disabled the segments in the profile and will test again tomorrow.

I do repeat what I said in my first post. I am preparing for the GFNY in May and this device is completely useless at the moment.
  • Can you post the err_log.txt file from the Garmin\Debugging folder?
  • Thanks. Could you provide the activity profile that you were using at the time.
    It will be in the Garmin\Sports folder
  • Here's the Activity Profile