This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LiveTrack is unreliable and useless - why?

I've gotten back to a frequent schedule of rides this season, and I'm saddened and frustrated by my experience with the Garmin LiveTrack functionality. I'm using the Edge 1000 paired to my iPhone running the latest iOS 15.5. I recall using it regularly before the pandemic, and most of the time I could rely on it. What has happened to it now? 

The problems I'm seeing:

- LiveTrack fails to auto-start sometimes when I start the ride on the Edge.

- LiveTrack starts tracking, but after 15-20 km, it stops doing so. I have to restart it manually in the iPhone app, and I get the start confirmation and a new e-mail, but it fails to actually record anything on the new map.

- LiveTrack stops tracking when I stop briefly for 10 min or so mid-ride, and it doesn't resume when the ride is un-paused.

- LiveTrack stops tracking when I switch to another app, for example, to take a photo. When I switch back to Connect, it's already stopped.

Of the dozen rides or so I've completed so far, I don't think I've gotten a single useful recording.

Do I need to buy the 1030? Seriously, will this new software fix the problem? This feature is important enough to me and my family that it would actually sway me to buy it, if for no other reason. However, I need to know that it's going to work then.

There's nothing unusual in my setup. I'm just carrying my iPhone in my back pocket during the ride as always. There's really nothing wrong with the phone connection or coverage in my riding area.

• Live Track problems can sometimes be resolved by deleting the Connect app from the phone and reinstalling it and pairing it.

• I have exactly the same problems with my garmin edge 1000 firmware version 15.50. The live tracking function only works for 10-20 km and then it stops or its stops after a few meters after i start the track.

• I did try your suggestion, and I admit that so far this has helped. I've been able to record a few full rides. Except that switching out of the Connect app to another on the iPhone, such as the Photos app, seems to break the connection sometimes. But it's an improvement. We'll see how long it lasts.

• Unfortunately, a few rides later, it's gone back to stopping position updates after about 10 km or so. I still don't know whether this occurs only on my Edge 1000 or it's still a problem with the 1030 or 1040?

• Live Track requires Garmin Connect mobile to be running. It can be running in the background. Perhaps your phone is closing the app?

• Good point, but I do make sure that the Connect app is running in the foreground on my iPhone before setting off. And the app is enabled for running in the background as well. 

• I also still have problems with the live tracking function in combination Gramin Edge 1000 and Samsung A52s. I allow every background communication and i remove the connect app from the battery control. But nothing helps after 2-10 km Live Tracking stopped.

• With my Edge 530 LiveTrack will have issues and kick out if either 1) WiFi is enabled on my phone and/or 2) the 530 is connected to WiFi (as in starting a ride from my house).  If I keep WiFi disabled on my phone and make sure I'm away from the house before starting the ride, LiveTrack works flawlessly every time.  

Try disabling WiFi on the phone and make sure the Edge is not connected to WiFi before starting.