This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can Anyone Confirm that the Auto Sleep (not auto pause) function is working on their Edge 1000 please?

In an attempt to extend battery life for rides above the current 72 miles (battery dies after 7 hours of activity including cafe stops), I re visited the' Auto Sleep' feature in the activity profile.

I found that it was already turned on. On reflection, I cant say that i have EVER seen my device turn off during a stop of 5 or more minutes and I've been using the edge for at least 5 years!

The battery life is now further reduced than it was because I now use a Varia Radar RTL515.

I contacted Garmin who said I needed an out of warranty exchange costing £195! I was told that the 1000 is now quite old and that Garmin are unlikely to investigate this! Wow!!!

What I would like to establish is, if anyone else has the same problem or not. I'm running the latest firmware/software and have carried out the usual device factory resets as requested by Garmin. The Auto Sleep will still not work.

The device DOES go to sleep if I turn it on and leave it on the desk with NO AVTIVITY being recorded - it just won't go to sleep when no movement is detected (regardless of the period of inactivity) during a ride. I can also initiate Sleep mode by pressing the Pause button, pressing the Power button and then selecting sleep in the Power Options.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

• You are misunderstanding this.

The device can be put to sleep in exactly the same way as you would a PC. A low power state is entered and all data is retained in the memory. On waking up you continue from exactly where you left off.

In the case of the Garmin, putting the device to sleep can be achieved manually - the internal time clock is unaffected :

• Press the stop button (lower right)
    • Long press the power button
    • Select Sleep from the menu.

To wake up the device and continue the original activity:

• Press the power button.

The activity continues and only one continuous file/activity is created/recorded.

Regardless of if Auto Sleep does or doesn't work, activating the sleep function has the same result as doing it manually as described above.

Incidentally, later devices such as the Edge 1030 have a 'Battery Save' mode which reduces the data sample rate and turns of the screen completely.

1. it works on mine 1000 even after 4/5 years! Only when I’m still no matter if the timer didn’t start yet or Im refilling water during a ride.
  • Thank you - Garmin have confirmed that too. It does however cause some confusion in the way it is explained in the manual. Some Garmin support staff were confused by it too :-) . Then there are some users who say that it does work in the way I described...

I now have a sticker on mine reminding me to Pause/Standby at cafe stops :-)

• Never used that feature btw..I’m always scared to lose the ride data..also, the battery saved it’s very marginal, I think zero during a breakfast!

consider that the auto sleep feature, uses battery in comparison to turning off the device because keeps all sensors connected (that’s what I read on the manual, 830 I recall)

• Or bring a small power-bank, plug it in when Garmin battery is low?

• I now use a  Juice 3 10,000 mAh power bank to keep my Garmin Virb Elite going beyond the normal 2.5 hours,  and to keep my Garmin 1000 charged on century rides :-) Mounted using the Garmin Varia light 1/4 turn mont and a stick-on adapter. Only useable in the dry but I don't do centuries in the wet ;-)

• Unless I haven't been able to configure it properly, it appears the "battery save" option has to be manually engaged. What I'd like, and maybe it's right under my nose and actually does work this way, is for the "battery save" mode to be configurable so that, when you get below, say, 20% left, it automatically engages.

• Replacing the battery in the Edge 1030 isn't terribly difficult; the 1000 might be similar. There are kits you can buy for dismantling a cell phone that will do the trick, plus some glue. And of course, there are youtube videos showing how it's done. :-)