This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can Anyone Confirm that the Auto Sleep (not auto pause) function is working on their Edge 1000 please?

In an attempt to extend battery life for rides above the current 72 miles (battery dies after 7 hours of activity including cafe stops), I re visited the' Auto Sleep' feature in the activity profile.

I found that it was already turned on. On reflection, I cant say that i have EVER seen my device turn off during a stop of 5 or more minutes and I've been using the edge for at least 5 years!

The battery life is now further reduced than it was because I now use a Varia Radar RTL515.

I contacted Garmin who said I needed an out of warranty exchange costing £195! I was told that the 1000 is now quite old and that Garmin are unlikely to investigate this! Wow!!!

What I would like to establish is, if anyone else has the same problem or not. I'm running the latest firmware/software and have carried out the usual device factory resets as requested by Garmin. The Auto Sleep will still not work.

The device DOES go to sleep if I turn it on and leave it on the desk with NO AVTIVITY being recorded - it just won't go to sleep when no movement is detected (regardless of the period of inactivity) during a ride. I can also initiate Sleep mode by pressing the Pause button, pressing the Power button and then selecting sleep in the Power Options.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

• Mine goes in sleep when I have a coffee stop or even if I don’t start my ride in front of my house. 
    have you reinstalled software already and done a reset?

• Thanks for replying! At Garmins request,  I've done a factory reset and sent them all of my device files and GC Mobile dat logs.

The problem still remains - however - after the reset, I didn't try it until after I'd restored all of my data from the backups (following Garmins Instructions) . My next step will be to do another factory reset and try the Auto Sleep again before restoring any of my own data.

On a ride this morning I pit it to sleep manually and that might just have to become part of my routine on anything over 70 miles from now on :-) I've made a bracket to sling under my Virb Camera to hold a Battery Power Bank too.

I'll post any updates if I am able to solve this :-)

• I've now done a second factory reset and tested it before restoring any of my personal files.

The Auto Sleep still doesn't work :-( .

• I tried auto sleep on my 1000 and it doesn't work either

• THANKS! I'm glad I'm not the only one then!!! :-)

• Is it possible that you could raise a case with Garmin about this? The more that do it the more likely it is to get fixed (maybe) ;-)

THANK YOU! :-)

• Isn't this by design?  During an activity, it is recording -- zeros, if you are stopped -- but its recording.  So the unit is not inactive, even if you are.

Here's what I found from a Google search:  "Auto-sleep will power the unit off if the timer is NOT running and the unit has not been interacted with for 5 minutes. If the timer is running it will not power off."

• Thanks for this useful reply!

The Garmin instructions are less than comprehensive for things like this ;-)

I have always assumed that this needs to be used in conjunction with Auto Pause, which I have set below 3 MPH.

As the timer stops during Pause, then I assume that Auto Sleep should also trigger after that 5 minutes of inactivity.

The Garmin First Line ( telephone) Support sadly don’t have the detailed device experience to be able to confirm the exact circumstances that should trigger the Auto Sleep, deferring all questions like this to the US. I’m still waiting for the case to be replied to by them.

Some seem to be able to get it to work but others don’t :-(

Paying £195 to get a device exchange on the chance that might resolve the issue seems a bit  extreme, as does paying £395 to part exchange up to an Edge 1030 ;-) So unless Garmin can actually find what isn’t triggering the Auto Sleep I’ll have to use a Power Bank on longer rides :-).

thanks again :-) :-)

• Well I give up!

1 1/2 hours on the phone to Garmin today while the (very helpful Gary) tore his hair out going backwards and forwards to their U.S. support trying to clear this up. Like me he thought the Auto Sleep should do just that (in conjunction with Auto Pause) and put the Garmin to sleep while stopping for any extended period while recording an activity. He was as astounded as i was when eventually he was told that it SHOULDN'T SLEEP when you stop for any length of time during an activity! That this was BY DESIGN! Also it was suggested to him that the manual was wrong!

he also told me that the initial support request was entered incorrectly by a colleague and based on the Edge 1030 Battery Saving feature, so had got very confused!

My faith in their support is sadly diminishing...........

• So just to summarize your post, I was 100% correct!    lol!

Logically, I'm not sure how it could sleep while you are in the middle of an activity.  How would it calculate the total time if the timer is put to sleep for a portion of the activity?  I think you have two activities -- one to the coffee shop and a second activity home from the coffee shop.