This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does riding a "follow a course/activity" on a smart indoor trainer log the same elevation gain from the course/activity?

Noob question: It seems an indoor trainer paired with Zwift logs elevation gain from virtual rides, however when following a course/activity on an indoor trainer the elevation gain doesn't reflect the course/activity, is this a setting issue to enable/disable something so that Garmin logs the elevation gani from a course/activity? Thanks in advance! :)

• The elevation is measured by the device using a barometer. There's no provision to receive elevation from another source.

The course file can have elevation but the Garmins don't copy that data into the activity file.

There might be programs that will update the elevation data in an activity file.

• On the 530/830/1030/1030+ and 130+  products the smart trainer integration will write the course elevation data into the activity file if you are using a course or previous activity to control the smart trainer.

• Ah, I see. Mine is the Edge 1000 so it can't do that. Hopefully Garmin would release some firmware update that enables the Edge 1000 to write course elevation data into the activity file when riding a course/activity on the smart trainer. Thanks! 

• Looking forward to an update for the Edge 820 

• So, if I ride a film in the Tacx desktop app, you're saying that I can set it up so the elevation data in the film will reflect into the Edge, basically charting the course profile in realtime? Please, tell me how! 

• No, The Edge would know nothing about what the app is showing.. The app is controlling the trainer resistance and the trainer is sending data to the Edge.

For the Edge to record elevation data it must be controlling the trainer through the use of a course/activity with elevation data. It then passes that elevation data to the activity file it is recording.

This is currently not supported on the 1000.

• Thanks! Appreciate it. 

• I can’t get this to work. I created a course in Garmin Connect and transferred it to my Edge 530. I rode the course using my Elite Trainer. The trainer adjusted the resistance for gradient changes but the recorded Garmin activity didn’t include elevation data.