This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unsafe Route calculation

So I have a Garmin Edge 1000 which I've had for a couple of of years. I've noticed a peculiarity when using the on-board navigation to create a route. Actually a couple of things and I'm not sure what's going on.

#1 when I asked for a route from wherever I am with a specific mileage and asked to create a route he does not choose the safest route to do. It'll put me on a road that is a lot more heavily trafficked or even actually not okay for cyclists to even be on. And I know this because when I'm rooting things from my own house I know every safe road around me and it will actually send me down the busiest roads. So I'm reluctant when I go anywhere to have it calculate some kind of route I'll go online and try to do it myself. This is an issue.

#2 when I select a distance ...say like 30 miles it gives me the routes with the elevation gains in a particular route and THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE.  One-thirty mile route might say it has an elevation gain of 230 ft what is actually 2000 feet.

Anybody else have problems like this? I can't use the route Creator because it's so inaccurate and I'll send me down dangerous roads and not tell me exactly what I'm getting into when I go out for a ride. Is there any Improvement in this with the 1030 Plus or the 1030?

• Similar issue as #1 here. Two weeks ago I used navigation (hardly ever use it, but got a bit lost)to get home and it tried to send me on a motorway 6 times. Even though the cyclepath was next two it, at every roundabout, it wanted me to follow for three quarters and continue on the other side of the road, which was not even allowed for anything other than cars and motorbikes.

• Route finding seems to be designed for car drivers. Probably using the same data.

• Route finding seems to be designed for car drivers. Probably using the same data.

• It looks like my problem was fixed when I reinstalled the maps from the option in Garmin Express

• It'll put me on a road that is a lot more heavily trafficked or even actually not okay for cyclists to even be on.

How would the unit know whether a road has "heavily traffic"? What does "not okay for cyclists" mean? Do you mean illegal?

The default maps are based on Openstreetmap data. There isn't any traffic data there. Sometimes, the speed limit is known but not typically.

The units exclude motorways ("highways") by default but there isn't any way of excluding other "major" roads. If bicycles are not allowed on non-motorways, the map data needs to have that data (and that's probably not going to be reliable).

You should consider using popularity routing. That would tend to choose roads actually used by cyclists.

• This is incorrect. The unit recently tried to make me ride on the A6, A27 and A28 in the Netherlands, which are all highways!

• So, the issue isn't that it's "unsafe" or "heavy traffic". The issue is routing on motorways.

You need to show a specific example of where the routing problem is.

There could be an issue with the map data but that can't be checked without knowing were the problem is occurring.

====================

These are classified in OSM as "motorways". These should be being excluded with the "avoid major highways" setting on the device. (Unless a section of these are indicated as allowing cycling, which doesn't appear to be the case.)

You might try "mixed surface cycling" instead of road.