This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

footpaths not bridal or gravel

i have a garmin edge 1000 and when i opt for a route i mainly get road and foot paths and not gravel or bridal ways. is they a way to exclude footpaths when planning. also it appears the map does not differentiate between foot paths and bridal. help as becoming rather annoying when following routes and getting directed to footpaths.

• Can you provide a specific example of the "footpath"? I'll look at the OSM data.

•   For example the garmin tried to route me down the black line on the left hand side and like many other routes I follow these tend to end up been foot paths so then have to force it to reroute by cycling on. Is they no way to exclude foot paths from a selection when route calculating. All I’m wanting to do is a route calculation to include bridal and gravel path as currently roads dictate. 

• Do you mean the black line on the right?

The OSM data for the path on the right doesn't explicitly exclude cycling.

Maybe, try another map.

Maybe, the "routable bicycling" one from here would work better:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

• it seems like when routing the software doesn't know difference between foot path, bridal and gravel. foot paths predominantly in the uk had styles or cycle barriers and therefore have to lift or manouver bikes around. PC wont let me download as file cant be trusted.

which would be the best default ride type to use as garmin doesnt explain the difference between the options. 

whats the definition of ebike and emountain when opting for route ride type. i have an ebike and want to ride mainly off road to destinations with as much bridal and gravel as possible. i know this isnt always possible but just seems to be routing wrong. 

• I think that, in the US, bridal paths tend to not allow cycling (there doesn't seem to be a reason to designate a road/path as "bridal" except as a way to indicate "horses only").

In OSM, "footpaths" don't exclude bicycling by default. So, the problem with your specific footpath is that the map doesn't have enough data (the path data needs to exclude cycling explicitly).

Also, when adding/updating map data, people can tag generic paths (which could be used for MTB) as "footpaths".

"Ebike" and "emountain" are values for a profile attribute. They have no bearing on navigation. They exist to indicate what type of bicycle you are using (not where you want to ride it).

There is a "road type" attribute in the Navigation submenu.

They might not work exactly as you want, but gravel or mountain bike seems more appropriate.

====================

"PC wont let me download as file cant be trusted."

What file? What sort of PC? Your mention of this in the middle is confusing.

If it's Windows 10 and a blue screen, there may be a hard-to-see option at the lower left that lets you override that. If the message is from some other anti-virus program, you'll have to do some research yourself to figure out how to download files.

• In OSM, "footpaths" don't exclude bicycling by default. So, the problem with your specific footpath is that the map doesn't have enough data (the path data needs to exclude cycling explicitly).

From the OSM Wiki:
    highway=footway: For designated footpaths; i.e., mainly/exclusively for pedestrians. This includes walking tracks and gravel paths. If bicycles are allowed as well, you can indicate this by adding a bicycle=yes tag.

Can you please explain because now it feels as a contradiction? As far as I know - at least in Europe - cycling is not allowed by default on footways and pedestrian ways and areas unless it is allowed by the 'bicycle=yes' tag.

In contrary on cycleways pedestrians are allowed by default unless explicytly excluded by a 'foot=no' or 'foot=use_sidepath' tag.

• People (map compilers) can use the OSM data anyway they choose.

It appears that Garmin is treating "footpaths" as excluding bicycling by default.

If bicycles are excluded explicitly, it would be easy to argue that the Garmin map should exclude them too.

Note that roads rarely have the bicycle=yes tag. Roads are assumed to allow cycling. Trunk and motorways are not assumed to allow cycling.

People often use "footpath" for hiking trails, which might not exclude cycling. People should be using "path" (generic) for hiking trails.

In the US, "bridal" paths tend to exclude cycling (they don't need to be tagged as "bridal" if the paths can be used for other uses).

====================

This stuff is difficult to get perfect.

While you might not be able to ride on footpaths, you can walk your bike.

If a footpath provided a significant shortcut, people might want that to be an allowed option.

• I agree that this seems to be a big problem with Edge (I have a new 830) routing.  Even with the road only option set I always get troutes that want to take me along footpaths.  I have checked OSM and the paths are set as footpaths. I wish there was a way of telling the routing software that I really mean road only when re routing out on a ride.  I cna check if I create the route at home but when I have to re-route on a ride I generally have a real need to get a sensible route home or back to the car and I always have the fear that at some point in the middle of no-where I am going to be asked to go down a footpath or else cycle off into the wilderness enough to stop the recalculating software trying to force me back to the footpath.