This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 SD card can no longer be read after exchanging the backplane

Former Member
Former Member

Hi,

I had to replace the backplane on my Edge1000 because the USB socket was broken.
Since then I can no longer use the external SD card. I checked the cable connections in the device several times. All seems to be OK.  And, the SD card works perfectly on the PC.

Consequential problem is that I can no longer update the map because there is not enough space on the internal memory. Freeing up internal memory by temporarily deleting the cards also does not work. Garmin Express always wants an external SD card for the update.

I tried to upload current map files from another Edge1000. Then the message "Card not authorized" comes

My questions:
  1.) Does anyone have an idea why the SD card is not recognized?
  2.) Does anyone know of a way to install map updates without external SD cards?
  3.) Is there a way to authorize standard cards from another Edge1000 (the standard card is actually free of charge)

Addition:
part 2. and 3. has been successfully answered (see following inputs)
part 1. still open; new thread "Edge 1000 SD card can no longer be read after exchanging the backplane" is opened

• Insert usb storage device in computer.  Create garmin folder.  Copy from garmin folder on edge GarminDevice.xml.  Remove edge from Express.

Add this new device to express.  You can now install maps.

Use javaw to copy selected maps from new device to edge. http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to TrippyZ

Hello TrippyZ,

Unfortunately I was not successful
    - Insert sd card to computer, create GarminDir and copy file:  OK
    - Remove Edge: OK (only the USB cable removed, not the Edge Entry in Express)
    - Add this "new device" to Express: NOT OK; no new device found by Express

Is it really possible to add a "device" PC + inserted SD?
    Or is a "virtual device" necessary as described in your last sentence?

• I do this all the time with my Edge Touring. GE has only ONE instance of the device. You don't need to "Add New Device" for the SD-card because the SD-card is a mimic of the same device. To be sure, but I don't know if it is needed, I have also copied the file Device.fit to the same ..\Garmin folder on the SD card. The only care is not to have both connected at the same time.

If the file GarminDevice.xml on the SD card is a copy from the device, it contains the same Unit ID and serial number. In that case GE will recognise the SD card as the device and map updates will be installed there, even much faster than directly on the device.

If The properly prepared SD card is not recognised by GE, I suspect the SD card being corrupt in some way. The SD card should be (fully) formatted as FAT32 and do this on a Windows machine and not Mac.

In your case it is logical that 'Add device' is not possible. The SD card is the same device as is already registered in GE.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to bikepc01

Hello bikepc01,

Yes, It works!

And you are completely right. I must not add the SD card as a NEW device, but use the EXISTING device Garmin1000 in Express.
    Actually map is loading  and all seems to be OK.

Many thanks to bikepc01 and TrippiZ!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Hello,
    Question 2 and 3 were successfully answered above.

The initial problem "external SD card not found" remains, however

Any Ideas?

• Try a different card.

• The SD card type must be SDHC, NOT SDXC. In my Edge Touring I use a Sandisk micro SDHC 32 GB class 4. Bigger size will surely not work.

• I  have tested a SD-Card of another Edge1000 in my Edge. In the othe Edge the card works fine. In my Edge, however, this SD card could not be found. Neither from the Edge itself nor from a PC via USB connection. I think its a problem caused by the back plane's change. May be there exist some not compatible versions.

• Hi all, 

I have been having a sudden problem with my navigation on my edge 1000. Whenever I try to navigate to somewhere, the garmin doesn’t bother calculating the route to 100%, it just goes straight to the map and asks me to join the A3 which is my local A road. It doesn’t even try to navigate me there. I did a factory reset - same issue. After the factory reset, I then started running into problems with being unable to download the map update that had been erased as GE wouldn’t recognise the memory card in my garmin despite following all instructions on formatting it. I then came across this page and followed the instructions to get the map update onto my memory stick. I copied the garmin folder across to the memory card and then plugged this into GE using a card reader. Suddenly I was able to download my map update without issues. I then put the memory card into the Edge 1000 and connected that to GE. All seemed fine as GE said no updates needed. However, the navigation issues persisted. Furthermore, if I asked to “reinstall” the map using GE, the “memory card not found” issues would return. I’m thoroughly confused. My garmin edge software is version 9.5 which is apparently “up to date” and I assume this gets updated via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth using garmin connect. I don’t really know where to go from here.