This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 Boot Loop after 3 years - replacement unit offered by Garmin

Former Member
Former Member

Hi All,

My Edge 1000 is in a boot loop after just over 3 years of service recording just over 6500 miles. Do people get much more use out of their Garmins?

Garmin have indicated there is a terminal issue and offered me a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty for £195. Are they joking? Why would I ever take such a poor deal for a device that has a rubbish track record [the number of software updates that were painful to complete has been so frustrating].

What are your experiences? I've certainly read many comments that suggest people are moving to Wahoo.

It's funny how you can be so positive about a brand and then become so disappointed. Currently I'm not in a position to recommend Garmin to anybody.

Thanks,

Mike

• Former Member

Please can you reach out to us by phone through support.garmin.com when you have your device connected to a computer? We may be able to troubleshoot this issue by deleting some old files off of the device. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Garmin-Duncan

Hi. I can try, but sadly my Mac no longer recognises the device with our without the SD card inserted. Still worth calling? Thanks

• That is alright. We can try a master reset and if that doesn't work then i'd like you to give us a call.

First power the device off to a completely blank screen, OR if you cannot achieve this with the power key simply allow the device to run until it powers off on its own which may take a bit. Once the device has a blank screen try this:

1. Press and hold the two buttons towards the bottom of the device (lap key and timer start/stop)

2. While continuing to hold those two buttons down press and release the power key

3. Continue holding the two buttons on the bottom down for 10 seconds once you have released the power key

4. Release the two buttons on the bottom after the 10 seconds is up.

• Former Member

Still no joy. The only time it stops booting is when the power runs out. When it gets power, it just loops! I tried your instructions and also tried other buttons. For example, if I hold down the start button when it is looping, it shows a menu I have never seen before [Touch Screen, Memory Test, etc]. However, it never stays on the menu, it just reboots :-(

Is it possible that water has entered the device? The screen looks fine [no misting]. I read a post whereby the person took it apart and said there was rust on the power button [suggesting moisture had gotten in]. Once that was cleaned, then it worked again.

Thoughts?

Thanks

• Former Member I have sent you a private message.

• Former Member

Thanks Duncan for your help. I have been in touch with the UK support team. My Edge is being returned and I look forward to receiving a free replacement soon. Thanks again, Mike 

• I am having exactly the same issue with my Garmin 1000 since this morning. I have tried the master reset as described here, and also tried to connect it to Garmin connect on the computer. However I can’t get it to be recognised as a USB device because it shuts off too soon. Any advice pkease?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to ramsdenmark

Maybe Duncan can help you too. Do revert that you can't use any old cable. Some are only ok for charging, so you need to use the Garmin over. Good luck.

• I'm having the same problem. Tried loads of permutations of button presses, connecting to pc with proper Garmin lead etc and still no joy. Just stuck in a restart loop. Has anyone found a way of fixing this?

• Just noticed that the Garmin Edge 1000 is still being sold for £500 on the Garmin web site https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/134491 I'm left with a device that is worthless if I can't get it out of the reboot loop. I have had no replies from Garmin support. I'll try again - unless anyone has any better ideas of how to get the device out of the loop, please. I have tried everything in this post - without luck.