This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 calories

Hi, so I have been cycling on and off for a few years. I updated my edge a week or so ago with the latest upgrade from the computer, and went out for a 90 min cycle, and my edge calculated my calories over 2000 burnt. Now I know my own body, I train hard at the gym and know there is no possible way this could physically happen. I also use the HR band, so it can't be bringing in incorrect figures. I have a vivoactive watch I use with whenthe HR band at gym, running etc but don't wear it cycling as it's uncomfortable and no reason to since I'm using the edge, so I know what calories I burn during these times, and then know 2000 for a 90 min cycle is just not physically possible for me.  Anyway I was training hard a few years ago on my bike and even doing 100km cycles I wouldn't burn that many calories, so I can't work out why it is coming up with this ridiculous figure.  I've tried resetting it, and it still doesn't seem to have righted itself (although I can't actually test this till the weekend). 

Does anyone know a fix or have the same issue.?

• That sounds like a particularly spectacular miscalculation, but unless you're using a power meter any calorie figures will be no better than an estimate. I've never found the figure worth looking at without power. 

Assuming you don't have access to a power meter, I'd still suggest checking that the heart rate zones are set accurately, though - you probably should be getting a figure that is at least closer than you got for that ride. 

• Normally 400-700 per hour is ideal..but I don’t know how much the heart zones can increase the burnt calories...edge calculates them depending many factors but mostly from the heart beat so zones values can’t be the cause

• Make sure your weight is set correctly