This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Formatted Garmin Edge 1000 can't be recognised by Garmin Express.

Hi all. 

Firstly, I do apologise if my question does sound very similar to that of another thread. I've studied that one and can't find a solution.

Like the other threadstarter, I accidentally formatted my garmin unit instead of the SD card when trying to update a map. 

On Windows 10, the device was formatted under FAT32(default), quick format unchecked.

Now while the device can be recognised by the PC when the USB is plugged in (I can see a completely blank folder), it does not complete boot up (stuck at loading profiles...). Also, I tried to add the device in Garmin Express but it isnt able to detect it.

Are there any folders/files I can copy into that blank folder so that Garmin Express can detect it?

Many thanks.

Top Replies

• There is a chance we can save the device but it very well may need to be exchanged. We will need to have you reach out to us directly through support.garmin.com so that we can help you find…

All Replies

• There is a chance we can save the device but it very well may need to be exchanged. We will need to have you reach out to us directly through support.garmin.com so that we can help you find a solution to this issue. 

• Hi

What chance is there of recovering this please? I spoke to Garmin support who say there is nothing that can be done apart from charge me £195 for a new device. I formatted with Mac but have since tried reformatting with windows but it still hangs on loading profiles. Anyone have any advice on a solution to get it working again please? I would rather buy a wahoo for £175 than replace the Garmin if it comes to it.

I also tried some recovery software on the Garmin but it just finds the map.iso file and no system files.

• Your only chance is to find somebody who knows how to handle the procedure with the preparation of a .rgn boot-image from GUPDATE.GCD (using RGN-Tool) and the bootloader program 'updater.exe' to load the boot-image to the device. Note that the RGN-Tool and updater.exe need Windows. And there is allways a (small) risk that the procedure does not work.

Or accept the exchange that Garmin offered you. Suppose you will get a refurbished replacement.

• Sorry to jump in on this. The same happened to me. Reformatted to MS-DOS (FAT) and lost all the files. Is there a drop box for to replace the files on an edge touring please? 

• Please read my message above. This is your only chance.

Here in Holland we have a maginificant company 'Waypoint' (https://www.gps.nl/) who are also a Garmin Certified Repair Centre. In cases like yours I would contact them for help. Can't you find a comparable service centre where you live?