This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge "Workbench" program for MS Windows

New version 11/18/2020.

I wrote an Edge "workbench" type of program for Microsoft Windows 10.

• Convenient access to the files on your Edge for viewing/deleting.

• Makes it easy to download routes/trips (public and private) from RWGPS.

• Easy to download public courses from Garmin Connect (Garmin makes it hard to do anything more).

• Download multiple routes at once by dragging a list of URLs (from an email, for example).

• Makes it easy to view routes/activities in Google Earth, GPXSee, and Garmin BaseCamp.

More detail here:

https://sites.google.com/view/grouteloader/grouteloader

It's available through the Microsoft Store. There's a 30 day trial (it's $3.50 to buy).

• A new version was just released (12/17/2019).

Changes--

* Can now download your pinned routes from RWGPS.

* Can now download routes from GPSies.

* Has an option to watch additions/changes to the Downloads folder. This makes GRouteLoader easy to use for websites it can't directly download from.

* Has an option to add distance markers to routes/tracks exported to Google Earth. Use the "More >>" button to specify the period for the markers.

* Has an option to watch additions/changes to the web server folder.

* Has an option to (try to) terminate the web server program.

• This is something I've been looking for quite a while.  When my old Edge 1000 got dropped and I purchased a new one, there was no easy way to get hundreds of routes from RWGPS onto the new Edge 1000.  I even contacted RWGPS and was told they don't have a batch function, just download each by hand again.

Is it possible to try/buy the program outside of the Microsoft store?  I don't have an account there and, frankly, don't trust MS with my personal info.

• GRouteLoader won't do the downloads as a batch. It does do that for pinned routes (which means it wouldn't be too hard to do it for all the routes).

As far as companies go, MS might be much more trustworthy than many companies you might already have personal info at. My work has an federal client and we use MS systems to do their work.

Keep in mind that in terms of the work I put into this, I'm deep in a hole. Every exception means that hole gets deeper (and it's not even an interesting exception). The MS store means I only have to deal with one way to publish the program, provide updates, and deal with payments. It's not really "worth while" doing that one thing and you are suggesting repeating that work.

I investigated using other stores and the MS store seemed to be the best choice. Fortunately, MS relaxed the requirements for regular people to put their software on it. Before April, I would have had to been a company and pay $250/year.