This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

3rd Party Cycling Dynamics

Do you think there is any chance that Garmin will add support for 3rd cycling dynamics on the Edge 1000?

530/830/1030 can now show cycling dynamics data from Favero Assioma pedals but the 1000 has been left behind.

• No chance of that happening.  Upgrade.

• I've been looking for answers to the same question as have recently bought a set of Favero Assioma Duo pedals - partly on the strength that their firmware now provides some Cycling Dynamics info. I know the Favero's don't provide the Platform Centre Off Set (PCO) info. which is not an issue for me.

On my Edge 1000 head unit I can get the screen that shows Cycling Dynamics & the Power Phase Graphs (PP) for pedaling works (when riding) but the bottom 2 windows don't seem to be able to pick up anything.

In Garmin Connect I can get the usual graphs as well as one for the Power Curve and a dotty one showing L/R balance.

In the data listings I get L/R balance; L/R Torque effectiveness; Pedal Smoothness etc -

So it seems it's halfway there - But unfortunately not the Graph showing Power Phase - despite it being visible on the head unit.

I assume this is because the Edge 1000 is not optimised to display this - rather than a problem with the pedals??

I've tried researching this - & the best info seems to be DC Rainmaker's review of the Favero's listing the Garmin models that support Cycling Dynamics & stating that the edge 1000's 'may' also.....

Given that Garmin developed the Cycling Dynamics Protocol that the Favero Assioma's use I'm dissappointed that their flagship device (until superceeded by the 1030) doesn't seem to support it.

Having a perfectly good Edge 1000 I'm reluctant to replace it to 'upgrade' & think Garmin SHOULD provide a software update.

• I assume this is because the Edge 1000 is not optimised to display this - rather than a problem with the pedals?“

Neither a problem with the pedals nor lack of "optimization", it's no support at all in the 1000. There are two separate protocols for cycling dynamics, one is the old, Garmin-only version that is spoken by the 1000 and Vector pedals, the other is a cross-vendor remake and the 1000, along with all the other x00, x10, x20 Edge units won't get the software update to understand it. They both do the same, but old one is a Garmin exclusive.

It's not incomplete support of the new protocol, it's no support at all. It just looks a bit like incomplete support because the screen for cycling dynamics also shows some data from the conventional powermeter protocol, data that had been sent by Favero since the initial release of the bepro, nothing to do with the assioma update.

• Many thanks for your explanation usrusr. I assume I will eventually have to replace my Garmin Edge 1000 eventually & then hopefully all will be seen?

• The funny thing is that if you pair your Assioma with one of the newer 1030/830 via ANT+, then the 1000 start to show those metrics too, as well as save then on the fit file. Same happened to me also with a Forerunner 735XT. 

• Have you actually tested this?

You just need to pair it once wth the 1030/830 via ANT+  and you are done?

• You need to have the 1030 (or other compatible) device paired every time - not just once.

• Would it be possible to have an APP on a smart phone that is able to recieve and send ANT+ data to get the data from the Favero pedals via the standard protcol and send them out via the old gramin only protocol?

Thus instead of developing x+ firmware updates for all old headunits that could display the cycling dynamic data via the old garmin only protocol it would only be 2 APP (one for ANDROID and One for iOS). And it would probabaly need different resources (programmers) that could even be developers out side gramin itself.

• I have experienced exactly the same case as mentioned here.  My 810 doesn't record CD but when at the same time the Assioma paired with a 1030, my 810 did record the CD data.  So I suspect Assioma only sends the data when it is pairing with a compatible device.  However, I also contacted Favero about this and they assured me that Assioma is ALWAYS sending out CD data.  I'm baffled by that because what they imply with that is that somehow the 1030 causes the 810 to record the data.  I'm now going to do a test where I show all the CD fields on my unit and see what data it displays.  If it does display the data then it means the CD data is being transmitted but then I'm still puzzled why it would not be recorded.  

Similar as to a lot of others, I'm reluctant to buy a new unit just for the CD data so I hope to find a trick that makes it work for my 810.

fyi I posted this on Reddit as well: www.reddit.com/.../