This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 folders

I stupidly formatted the drive of my Edge 1000 unit while trying to do a map update instead of formatting sd card.

Can i just copy folders from another unit and paste back into my unit?

Where can i get hold of these.

Seems a shame just to bin it!

I have tried to create a garmin folder and dowloaded GUPDATE.GCD. Tried reboots with and without usb but failed.

Regards in anticipation

Paul

Top Replies

All Replies

• Probably one of the steps have not gone right...

Assuming you have zeroed the Garmin on your Mac (dont know how to do this on windows), this bit: diskutil zeroDisk disk2, then on windows when you get the format USB drive windows choose File System: FAT32, click restore device defaults and label the drive GARMIN, then format.

If its not working then attach the Garmin to you Mac, from the terminal run diskutil list, if you see anything other than this:

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GARMIN *7.8 GB disk2

Then it wont work, you need to start again as there will be more than one partition on the drive which the Garmin wont like.

The zeroDisk command can take a few minutes to run.

• Thanks ill try later, I don’t have my Mac with me. 
    what I’m confused about if the device is formatted and doesn’t show any files on it how does it rebuild itself?

also how long does it take to rebuild?

• The Garmin has everything it needs to rebuild in an internal chip, when it notices that the inbuilt drive is blank it creates everything automatically. I cant remember how long it takes but probably a couple of minutes as there is not much to do. I have done this with my Garmin 2 or 3 times and it does work as long as you get everything right.

• Ah might be getting somewhere now entered the command diskutil zeroDisk disk3 and now it’s started to delete the disk and is timing something like the following 

Started erase on disk3

[ \ 0%......................................................................] 8.8% 0:51:34

so fingers crossed it might work now Grin

• Hooray it’s worked GrinGrinGrinGrin

I can’t believe it thanks very much for helping me at least I didn’t have to buy a new unit just yet saving me at least £200 or maybe even £365 for a new 1030 plus as a trade in.

i’m more annoyed with Garmin support why couldn’t they have helped me with this, all they were interested in was selling me a new one.

thanks again 

• BRILLIANT! I'm so please for you and glad I could help. Regarding Garmin, yeah, could do better, very simple change to the firmware will stop this happening, sure it happens a lot!

As for why the Mac ads the extra partition....thats another issue but within spec so the Garmin should be able to cope.

Merry Christmas and happy riding Spadger007

• That’s what I found when I contacted them. So glad you got it sorted. It’s amazing how easy it is done. But you will only do it the once.

I have the new 1030+ now really happy with it but just feels a bit plasticky compared to 1000.