This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

route calculation error on Edge 1000

I have an Edge 1000 which in the past 12 months has displayed a 'route calculation error' message from time to time when I've set out on a ride. However, I was prompted by Garmin Express to do a maps update two days ago and since then I cannot get any route to work at all - everything comes up with 'route calculation error' as soon as the route is selected.  I have tried deleting all maps, saving new maps and reinstalling, but still get the same error. At the moment I have no way of saving and following a route - which is the main reason I chose this device in the first place so really keen to get this resolved.

I see people talking about which maps they have installed, but all I have are the ones that come as a default - and which have worked perfectly for over a year.  It seems like something has happened when I installed the latest updates (which took nearly two hours!)

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

• I had the same issue. I created a route in Ride With GPS and put it in to the 'New Files' folder on the Garmin. I called Garmin this morning and they told me to reinstall the map (advice I'd already read here) but Garmin Express was asking me to insert a memory card, something I didn't have and wanted to see if there was another way around it. During the conversation it became apparent that I was missing maps for Europe South West. The agent advised that Garmin Express must have removed the maps at the last update "to make space for everything". Hmmm

I've since gone out and purchased a memory card and reinstalled the maps and it is working now.

Question for those that got it working by reinstalling the maps; Did you already have a memory card in the device or did you have to go out and buy one or did it reinstall the maps without needing a memory card?

Secondly, if I 'Get Info' on my device, and the memory card I had to insert which appears as a separate drive on my Mac I get the following..

From what I can see, there is no reason the files on the memory card couldn't have went on the internal storage of the device itself, especially since quite a few items on the memory card are duplicates.

• I had a very similar problem. After importing a TCX file I updated the maps via Garmin Express. Everything looked fine until the ride today when I had the "Route calculation error". Approximately every thirty seconds the thing would beep at me, even after cancelling the route. It is so distracting it is dangerous.

Following the advice from Garmin support I reinstalled the map and it looks OK now. Next time I need to remember to check the route after uploading a map before going for a ride.

• I'm getting the 'route calculation error" since upgrading to Garmin Express 7.0.0 (Mac) with Maps 15.40 (not sure what versions I had before, but I haven't upgraded anything for 12 months). I've reinstalled the maps and have 2020.10 for NE and SW, as suggested, but still have the problem. 

Loading/calculating a course now takes forever – it was fast, pre-upgrade. I also have the Open Fiets Map UK map installed. This has never caused a problem until this upgrade, but disabling the map seems to fix the route error, though not the slow course calculation. Has Garmin effectively killed Open Street Maps..?

• 15.40 is the firmware version - NOT map version. So there may be some confusion here?

On the device you can only have one active routing map. If more routing maps are active all kind of weird routing errors may occur and also 'route calculation errors'. Maybe the map re-install caused all present maps on the device as flagged active?

If you use the OpenFietsMap all Garmin Maps need to be inactive, except the non-routing Worldwide Basemap. And vice-versa, if you use the Garmin Cycle Map or other routing Garmin Map product you must have these as set active and the OFM disabled.

Did you check the active map settings?

• Yep, that seems to be it. Disabling open Fiets Map cleared the error – though it was enabled pre-update with no issues, hence my confusion. 

• I had a similar issue where I was trying to use an historic round trip route after a map update. I deleted that round trip route by putting a new distance in and it seemed to work. Hope it helps. 

• Omg! That's it! My MicroSD was not contacting!! It works now!! Thanks!!

• Same problem. Turned out there is not enough internal memory on the Edge 1000 for the updates so it installs on the SD memory card. My card went bad. New card fixed the problem. Actually happened a 2nd time and now I knew what the problem was. I actually paid extra for a SanDisk extreme Plus microSDHC card instead of the cheapo ones I had before. There is a lot of abuse when mountain biking or road cycling in bad weather. When  turning on it said system SW not installed or something like that. After reinserting the old card and resetting it would then work but the problem was intermittent. You can buy a new card (32GB Max) for $5 on the internet but I wanted one immediately, went to Target and got the better quality rugged Extreme Plus version for about $18.