This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can we really trust Garmin delivery dates?

I’ve been following the site for a while.  By the time I got to try to order, they were at a 3-5 week delay which shocked me.  Then I contacted them and they said it was a “shipping” delay.  

from what I’ve seen only a handful of people have gotten watches.  And why would every Marq sku have long shipping delays at the same time?  The crazy shipping delays of the pandemic are mostly over.  

What’s left are MANUFACTURING delays.  

did they seriously underestimate demand?  Is their Chinese factory in lockdown?  

the 3-5 week delay on the athlete has been static for a long time.  One would think that as the weeks burned off, the delivery dates would shorten corresponding 

ply, but they haven’t.

someone’s not telling the truth, or at least the full story.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I think you're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one.

The first point that many people seem to be missing is that Garmin only announced the MARQ II on 11th October, this was not a release date nor did Garmin ever give one. IIRC, at that time if you'd ordered direct from Garmin, they were quoting 3-5 weeks. People started receiving pre-orders from Garmin last week, which falls within this.

It does look like there may have been some form of shipping delay against Garmin's original estimates, as some people who placed pre-orders received emails from Garmin telling them their orders had been delayed until December (this may have just been for certain models), but it seems those people have also started receiving them as of last week (so within Garmin's original estimate). We know that Garmin made last minute changes to the charger, so this may account for this. 

I'm in the UK, where Garmin only sell the MARQ through a small number of luxury watch retailers. When I called one on 11th October, I was told they were expecting very limited stock the first week in November. This ended up being delayed by a week (last week); I'm now due to receive my Athlete tomorrow. Again, not a significant delay.

So, the watch was only actually released last week, and it would seem in limited initial quantities. It looks like Garmin hasn't stockpiled prior to release (or they did but are now having to repack with the new charger), but I'd now expect availability to start increasing as pre-orders get fulfilled, and then order times will start to drop accordingly.

So, while there may have been a slight delay, possibly down to re-packaging, all we're seeing here is a ramp-up in availability following last week's release, certainly not mass delays dating back to 11th October as some people are seeing it as.

P.S. There is actually a dedicated MARQ II forum on here.

• So, you suggest that if. Someone ordered in the second week, they are not in the 3-5 week window but actually within a 2-4 week window and only new orders are within a 3-5 week window?  IOW, time is actually burning off for existing orders?

as to the actual release date here is what Garmin said in their press release:

“Expected to be available this month, the MARQ (Gen 2) collection ranges in price from $1,900 to $2,400.”

Unlike what Apple often says, there’s no comment about early stock being limited.  And did people actually get their orders filled in October?  I’m not talking a tiny handful. And non-US markets being behind US markets isn’t an unusual circumstance, so your situation can fall within a 3-5 week period without it being at issue.

There has to be some sort of reason why Garmin is missing the bulk of the holiday selling season which their announced release date actually targeted.

• Chinese factory in lockdown

No. Our production facilities, which we directly own, are located in Taiwan.

did they seriously underestimate demand?

The number of MARQ (Gen 2) watches on order is not a number I have access to but the MARQ (Gen 2) is definitely without question popular.

MANUFACTURING delays

There are issues for all companies worldwide that can be identified across the internet. The issues of the last 2.5 years go beyond the tech industry. Yes, things are becoming better and look positive but it is not pre-2020.

Speaking with my waitress during a breakfast outing on the West Coast here in the United States, she said their restaurant struggles weekly to get enough products to maintain their customer demand and their costs continue to skyrocket for things as small as ketchup and other critical items like cooking oils etc.

• There are issues for all companies worldwide that can be identified across the internet.

It's funny how people still don't believe the delays are real across the world. And its even more scary that the delays are still there, 2.5 years later. 

• Hopefully, those who identify as the "world supply experts" across media that all agree the supply issues will be fully resolved in 2023 are correct. It would be nice to be back to pre-2020 again.