This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Triathlon Recording Errors on Garmin Marq

I did a triathlon at the weekend and used the Triathlon setting on my Garmin Marq to record it. It is logged as a Multi-Sport activity in Garmin Connect.

The plot of the swim is all over the place, a sort of zig-zag pattern that only roughly follows the route. It even looks like I went back on myself. I may not be the best straight line swimmer, but I definitely didn't go backwards! The distance recorded around 300m less than actual.

The transitions are odd too. They look OK on Garmin Connect, but in Strava they just show a dot instead of the actual route.

Any suggestions as to how to fix for my next one (I assume the file can't be corrected)

Cheers

• I assume the file can't be corrected

Post it here so we can see if possible.

• Zip the file, then in a reply post Insert >> Image/video/file >> click Upload >> browse for file >> OK.
    • Or upload the fit file to a file sharing service, such as OneDriveGoogle DriveDropbox, etc., make the file public, then paste a link to the file in your post.
  • I can't help with this specific swim, but can give you some tips for better GPS tracking at OW swimming, for your future swims:

• Make sure to sync the watch, preferably over the USB cable and Garmin Express, the day of your swim. It assures that you have an up-to-date ephemeris data for the identification of the satellites
    • In the global system settings of the watch, change the activity recording mode from Smart Recording to Every Second Recording
    • In the OW Swim activity settings, enable the option GPS + Galileo - there will be more satellites available with both systems available
    • Make sure the arm wearing the watch comes completely above the surface during the stroke. For example it won't work with brest-stroke.
    • If nothing helps, then the only solution is wearing the watch under your swim cap (and using the HRM-Pro belt for the HR, if needed)

Also check the document here:

Tips to Improve Accuracy of Open Water Swim Activities 

• Thanks. I didn't use to have any problems with my old 735XT

Seriously a £1500 watch that you need to put under your swim cap so that it works - that can't be right!!

• Perhaps it was just due to the expired ephemeris data. The swim cap solution is the last resort, for example for people swimming the breststroke. Under normal conditions, wearing it on the wrist is just fine. If you cannot get it right even after syncing over Garmin Express, and turning on the Every Second Recording and GPS+Galileo options, I'd contact the Support and ask them for a replacement.

• The plot of the swim is all over the place, a sort of zig-zag pattern that only roughly follows the route.

Too be honest I've had little success with my Marq Athlete in the open water, whether as part of a Multisport activity or separate. Maybe let Garmin Support know. Try changing to 1s recording if you have not already done so but I found it made little difference. Using the Marq for open water swimming has not been successful for me. And I usually don't have problems with Garmin watches when swimming.

They look OK on Garmin Connect, but in Strava they just show a do

This for Strava to resolve.