This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altimeter QNH fom METAR wrong

Hi,

I'm owning the Aviator since two weeks. It is my third aviation watch from Garmn. Startret with a D2 Bravo Titanium a few years ago.

My problem: The altimeter works fine using manuel calibration. As soon as i activate QNH via METAR the air pessure is totaly wrong: i.E METAR EDDG pressure is 1010 hPa the the altimeter reads 1002. Tested it since the watch was comming out of the box, on many airports/weather stations.

NO answer from the GARMIN support. :-(((

Regards from Germany
Peer

• No answer from Garmin support. Makes me sad.

• How did you contact support?  Directly? 

• Please report your MARQ Aviator issue to our Aviation Product Support through their Support Page here - Aviation Product Support - since your issue is aviation specific. They will be the ones to address it vs. standard Outdoor Product Support handing your non-aviation MARQ features.

• Hi Chris,
    thank you. I contacted the support via phone. The very nice lady wanted to foward tha. t issue to the aviation support. As that was same days ago and i got no answer by now....
    Meanwhie i found out that my inquiry is in progress... So i will be patient.

• Has this been resolved now? If so, what was the outcome?

• Im having same issue after RMA exchange due to not updating via wifi...

Exchanged watches have about 7hPa difference from metar and plane avionics...

Sending them to another rma on monday...

• Hi,

I had reported this when I got my MARQ Aviator last year, the only thing I ever heard back was an automatic confirmation that they had received my support request.

Well, I assume that the problem for their silence is that wearables and aviation are different business units, in a company of that size it's unlikely they will talk to each other. I also assume that the word "METAR" won't ring anyone's bell at wearables...

I see the QNH from the "phantom" METAR is changing, and it's not just a constant offset to the METAR of the last destination chosen in flight prep, so it is actually updating QNH from somewhere but only GARMIN knows which airport's METAR is used (maybe they hard-coded their local airport...)

Question: did this work  on the D2?

Best regards

Dragan

• Hi Garmin Chris,

While that sounds like a good idea this not going to get us anywhere, since the MARQ Aviator is not listed under aviation products. I tried a the local GARMIN aviation rep here in Switzerland and he did not even know this "toy" existed. Definitely not his turf, he said.

Altitude is the most important parameter in aviation, so if the Aviator can't get this right...

Form comparison, try imagine the MARQ Golfer would indicate the distance to some other green on an unknown course as your actual distance... that would be quite ridiculous, wouldn't it? That's what is actually happening with altitude on the MARQ Aviator when set to METAR as source... 

What I had requested is that in the Altimeter settings, when choosing METAR, one should be able to input the airport ICAO four letter code directly, or set it to "last used" (this is what the METAR widget is using) or "nearby". This would require 20 lines of code additional code in the firmware.

-> Suggest you find the guy who put the "METAR" in the settings options, make him add the 20 lines of code. Pronto.

Best regards

Dragan 

• Thank you for the additional input. We are looking into this issue further. Once I know more, I will be directly Private Messaging everyone within this thread to gather more information for our MARQ engineers.

• Hi all there, after new watches from RMA received, it works fine again.

My thoughts are bad baro sensor calibration, because there was about 7 milibars difference from my D2 Delta watches (D2s are working file all the time). New watches in compare to D2 are almost identical, so i reccomend chaging it by RMA for new ones...