This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

MARQ Captain - Changing UTC?

Since entering daylight savings time in the UK my UTC is off by one hour (GMT - 1)

This means the UTC data field on the MARQ Captain watch face is always reading one hour adrift from the actual GMT time.

I cannot see any explanation in the manual as to how UTC can be amended, or take into account daylight savings time adjustments; furthermore, I cannot find any menu setting on the watch that allows for this to be change. I have tried time syching with the phone and GPS and this does not alter it. I have also tried adding an additional time zone, assuming the data field may then let me choose that alternative time zone but it does not.

Does anyone know how to alter the UTC time zone?

• I thought UTC ignores DST by design.

• I did consider that but most applications, that show UTC, allow you to alter the UTC to accommodate your location. Personally, I don’t see the value of UTC on the dial.

• UTC doesn't change, regardless of location or daylight saving time - hence the U for Universal. The same thing goes for GMT.

When you say that UTC is adrift from GMT, do you mean GMT or do you mean the current time in the UK? The current time zone for the UK is British Summer Time (BST) which is GMT+1. E.g. I'm writing this in the UK at 16:05, but that's 15:05 GMT (and UTC).

Applications don't allow you to change UTC, they allow you to change what time the app displays (e.g. UTC, UTC+5, UTC-1 etc) to allow you to view the time local to you as on offset to UTC.

• Thanks Neil - your explanation is what I feared.

Personally, I love the MARQ Capain watch face; however, the limited choice of data fields means that I choose it for aesthetic reasons, rather than function.

Like you, I am in the UK; therefore, having UTC on the dial is somewhat pointless for me. If I could change it to a specific world time zone, there would be a value but having it show non-BST only is of no real value.

It is frustrating that the data fields are limited are limited to only two options per circle because from a design perspective, it is, imho, one of the nicest dials provided with the watch.

• GMT or the newer UTC is obvious if you work with space systems, or pilot internationally  or administer global communications.  Its beauty is that it is what it is.