This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation on latest FWs

Today I just realised that in the last 2 FWs the elevation is quite different from one run to another. See attached some runs on the exact same trail, ok, some were with sunny days, the last one today was little rain and very cloudy. The differences in terms of elevation are quite high, see the last column.

• Yes, my elevation has been a complete mess for the last month or two.  This watch was rock solid until one of the recent FW updates.  Now I'll do a relatively flat run and wind up with over 2,000 ft of elevation gain.  I have to autocorrect every activity at this point.  Not good.

• Well, I have not seen this before, and I had Fenix 3 and 5 before this Marq. Look at how jagged it the elevation on descent. 665m as recorded by watch and 396m after elevation correction. Quite a lot!

• I have exactly the same issue.  The elevation plot turns very jagged mid-way through an activity and the resulting elevation gain is hugely inaccurate.  I reported this back in May and ultimately Garmin took my watch back for testing and then returned it telling me everything was ok.

I have now opened a second support case and working through the support process again because I'm not convinced it isn't a hardware issue.  Can't be sure but my elevation has been off since May at least.

In the mountains I use elevation as a critical navigation tool; this inaccuracy could cause very serious situations.  

Sorry, but I'm actually happy this is happening to others - maybe we will now get some attention and possibly get a resolution.  Here is my run from this morning - it's exactly the same issue.

Hopefully we can both get this resolved quickly.  Elevation Correction is completely unacceptable from a real-time navigation perspective.

• Unfortunately this is a daily occurrence for me at this point. There is a long thread in the fenix 6 forum about the same problem. It’s definitely a software issue. I remember the good ole days when the MARQ owners seemed to get a higher level of customer service...

• About a year ago I was experiencing some major issues with altitude and elevation. To 'fix' i had to reinstall TopoActive using Garmin Express on a computer. This solved it, a little, but it never truly made my elevation correct with any exercise. To this day i still click on elevation corrections after every single exercise.

Yesterday, I did a short hike that was really off, even by 'normal' standards:

I am going to try and reinstall TopActive maps again and see if there are improvements, but I imagine that this isn't related to the MARQ line as much as how Garmin tracks elevation with some of their higher end devices. (My Vivoactive 3 automatically enables elevation corrections after a workout.)

• Have you logged a support call?  My case has been escalated so they are clearly investigating which is a good sign.  More people logging the issue will hopefully help them identify the issue...

• I just did, thanks

• I've tested 11.75 and I still have the same issues Disappointed

• Getting some silly elevation data on runs on my MARQ Adventurer as well. eg over 1,000 elevation feet gained on a flat beach run.

Interestingly, sometimes the incorrect elevation data appears on Strava but not in my Garmin activity. Other times it is vice versa.

• Log a support call; they know about it but are really struggling to find the issue - maybe your data will help...