This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My MARQ Expedition thinks it is "MARQ MARQ" / Golfer / Driver / Athlete

I own MARQ Expedition and MARQ Athlete the latter being my primary device.

At some point before the SW 10.10 update the Expedition started to think it is MARQ Golfer, for example the default watch face was from Golfer. Once or twice the device thought it was MARQ Athlete. I thought the next SW update would solve the problem, but it continued after the SW 10.10 At the same time I also started to have  problems with Garmin Hydration widget staying on always top and not being closing. After that I could not use Hydration App at the Expedition but I survived that by deleting the Hydration App via IQ Connect.

After the outtage the Expedition started to freeze on startup on "Loading maps" screen. I tried reinstalling the maps in Garmin Express (with the newest version on Windows 10) but that did not help. I have restored the factory defaults several times and reset everything from scratch using both Garmin Express and Garmin Connect. After full factory reset the watch might work some time and couple of shut downs. The "Loading maps" screen is also passed without problem.

I have done the reset procedure described in Garmin support site (support.garmin.com/.../. I have also done the reset through the menu settings (www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-46551446-AAE7-451C-B857-7D86AD7747EE.html).

While seeming to work fine at the latest the next day the device starts again showing on startup "MARQ MARQ" as a model and freezing on "Loading maps" screen. I have not used at any point any other maps than default maps provided with the watch and delivered through Garmin Express. Garmin Connect keeps recognizing the device as MARQ Driver.

I'm naturally getting quite fed up battling with the Expedition daily. Is there a way to properly restore factory defaults and get rid of this problem? At the moment the watch is not usable.

I'll provide more information if needed.

Thanks

Top Replies

• Thank you for reaching out regarding your issue. My sincere apologies for the odd behavior of your MARQ.

When any of our MARQ watches identify as another model of MARQ, it is a hardware failure and…

All Replies

• On watch, system/reset/reset default settings.  I think this takes you back to factory and you will need to re-pair with a mobile and wifi but your data will be intact.  Sync first if possible.  My suspicion is that the confusion is in Connect not the watch. 

• Hi, thanks for the reply, I appreciate that.

I had problems accessing the system/reset/default settings, because usually the watch stuck in "Loading maps" screen. However after hard reset when watch asks whether to pair with phone it is possible to access the menu and I managed to do the reset to default settings.

After that reset when pairing with phone Garmin Connect still recognizes the watch as Driver. If I try still pair the watch and my phone the watch starts to loop asking to pair with phone, reports the pairing successfull and then asking again to pair the watch with phone. Connect won't accept if I manually select MARQ Expedition from the list. Also if I skip the pairing the watch does not proceed after I have entered my personal information (age, height and weigth).

I have Android phone. I guess soon next step is to uninstall Garmin Connect app from the phone?

I fear that there is also something in the device itself. When connected to computer with usb-cable and accessing the GarminDevice.xml the model is "MARQ MARQ" also in the .xml-file.

Infuriating, yes.

• Connect should see two Marq devices connected.  Are they correct?  You could reinstall Connect as that seems fairly benign.  I am distinguishing between the android interface app and the cloud-based account with your data.    Garmin help desk on the telephone is worth a shot assuming they are not swamped.  I suspect they are swamped.  Also, I might delete one of the watches from my configuration and start over.  I have not done that and I don't know if the Connect data is retained based on the serial number.  I use an Aviator and I also have a Fenix 6.  I only have the Aviator active in my Connect account.  Since adding the device to the account sucks in data during the pairing process, I suspect the serial number is the true ID. 

• Thanks again for your answer!

Garmin Connect mobile (app on Android phone) and Connect on web both show two MARQ and both places also show the Expedition wrong as Driver.

I have deleted the Expedition multiple times from Garmin Express, Connect mobile and Connect web page and tried to setup the Expedition from scratch. No help.

Now the main problem is that I cannot get the watch boot properly even after resetting to default settings. Every time it stucks on "Loading maps" screen. Odd that after the reset first boot passes the map loading without problems. Also after the reset the pairing or manually setting without pairing with phone does not work. Trying to pair with phone the watch loops to pair again. Setting up manually the watch just stops and does nothing after entering weight or sometimes after setting up date.

I don't know whether freezing when loading maps, failures to setup properly after reset and being recognized wrong are separate problems or is there single root cause.

Interestingly Garmin support page does not recognize MARQ Expedition as a model and does not recognize the watch with its serial number. Maybe something to do with the renaming the Expedtion to Adventurer.

Previously I had no problems using Expedition with Fenix 5 Plus both being active in Connect account and it also worked fine with Athlete and Expedition for couple of months.

• If I browse to the Marq support page I see the Expedition.  Seems like the identification of your watch in Connect is corrupt.  The Marq folks seem pretty responsive and I would chat with them.  I would do that before deleting your entire account and starting over.  That is the kind of draconian move I might make out of irritation and frustration.  I can tolerate a full rebuild because I do not 'look back' much and history is not a priority.  Everyone is different.  Once you set things aright, pls post a closing statement for the benefit of others.

• Thank you for reaching out regarding your issue. My sincere apologies for the odd behavior of your MARQ.

When any of our MARQ watches identify as another model of MARQ, it is a hardware failure and the MARQ will need to be warranty exchanged with your regional Garmin Outdoor Wearables Product Support.

• Many thanks Chris!

Hardware failure explains well all these odd symptons. I have contacted my regional support and I'll hope things will sort out soon.

If it helps anyone else, I noticed that each time the watch recognized itself as "MARQ MARQ" it would hang in the Loading maps screen. When the device managed to pick any MARQ model, even wrong one, the device booted past loading maps. So now I guess there is one root cause and all other problems might result of that.