This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: Change Expected Sleep Time By Day

Hello fellow MARQ enthusiasts!  I would like to suggest (and see how many of you would agree), based on my own usage of the MARQ that Garmin should add customizable sleep times for each day on Garmin Connect.  This would improve the potential accuracy of the sleep tracking algorithm since, for example, my expected sleep window on the weekends differs vastly from my sleep window during the week.  Having more granular control over these windows would, in theory, allow me to obtain better sleep tracking results.  What do y'all think?

Top Replies

All Replies

• if it is a feature that is included, and it isn't accurate, why not make it better?

Couldn't agree more but I don't think the DND setting has much bearing on sleep detection. It's there for setting a time period when you do not want to be disturbed. Perhaps the call should be for the sleep detection to consider the DND setting? However, that's full of issues too. Currently I can sleep before and after my DND start and wake up before and after my DND finish. My sleep patterns change from weekday to weekend without any need to change the DND setting.

What is perhaps required is the ability to manually start/ stop sleep at any time of the day or night. As some have experienced, there are inherent difficulties using heart rate and movement to detect when sleep has started/ stopped.

• The DND while sleeping timeframe isn’t just for DND.  It also is important to have right to have sleep work correctly.  It’s part of the device calibration.

• The DND while sleeping timeframe isn’t just for DND.  It also is important to have right to have sleep work correctly.  It’s part of the device calibration.

As I said, I don't believe that's necessarily the case since some have reported sleep times well outside of their DND setting.

Has Garmin referenced the DND as being necessary for sleep calculation? If so where?

What is the calibration that you mention?

• Their article (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=mBRMf4ks7XAQ03qtsbI8J6) isn't showing up for me, but I've spent some good time talking to support about sleep accuracy.  Watches use the sleep window to calibrate during the first couple of weeks and resetting the watch and re-pairing re-starts the calibration.  I'm not sure how it factors into the new algorithm.  Garmin devices are able to track sleep outside of the sleep window, but it does help with calibration and can help resolve issues with sleep tracking accuracy.  I had to adjust mine to get my sleeping more accurate on the new algorithm.

I've never heard of the sleep window referred to as the 'DND' window before to be honest!

• mentions nothing about needing sleep start end end times for calibration or otherwise.

Sleep times are based on HRV and movement detected by the accelerometers. It would be logical to infer that the watch uses the sleep start and end times that are part of the user profile to better determine when you might be asleep as opposed to just sat down relaxing but that's not stated anywhere that I can see.

From the link above:

"Requirements to get advanced sleep monitoring include the following:

I am not convinced that changing entered sleep times by day would make any difference to the accuracy or otherwise of sleep detection.

• I sleep twice a day, this i totally useless for me at the moment Disappointed