This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Marq - already outdated ?

Hi.. quick question: 

I really like the optics of a Marq Captain or Athlete  and thinking about a purchase. 
I am a bit worried though I am buying a technically already outdated watch (as FENIX 6 has
a better display etc.). 
What´s your view and : are  you guys expecting an updated Version (Marq 2) in the near future ?

Thank you very much in advance ! 

• Possibly there will be a Marq Mark II version in the future... But who knows when...

• I posed this question recently and I concluded no one outside of Garmin has any good data.  I had a F6Pro and I elected to get the Aviator.  Functionally there is little to no difference.  The processor on the Marq might be a tad slower.  Unnoticeable in my usage.  Screen resolution is equal but the face is a notch smaller.  So if functionality floats your boat don't bother.  The other aspects of the Marq annihilate the Fenix for me.  The attention to detail is far superior IMHO.  Local access to the lines is quite limited where I am so I make some guesses on purchases.  If I could have seen the two side by side I would own one not two Garmin watches.  It is just that obvious for me.  Such is life.  A domed sapphire crystal is better than the planar one (for me).  One last thought, yes the watch face is bluish with led illumination.  Inky black with full spectrum sunlight.  I think it has to do with the light source not the display technology. 

• Great, thx for your answer. I do agree- they look fantastic - just want to avoid buying it and seeing an updated version with a better display and heart rate monitor later this year... 
    But I guess - you can never be sure.. 

• Just to add to the comments already made, I have both a MARQ Athlete and Fenix 6X Pro Solar. The 6X has a larger screen, but it is a larger device; but otherwise they function identically and I haven’t noticed any speed difference between the two. The MARQ actually has some software features that the 6X does not, like the fancy app list graphics and moving background globe behind (short video below). So in some ways, the MARQ is actually more advanced than the Fenix 6 (which it should be for the extra coin).

• @4543228

You saied that the Mark processor, is slower than the one on Fenix 6.

Is it assumptions because of the date of delivery in the market, or real facts ? Did you have a link for technical informations ?

I'm on the fance to by a Marq Driver, but knowing that the processor underperforme Fenix 6 is a no go for me.

• Interesting question.  I thought I recalled that I had read that the processor for the Fenix 6 was a bit faster but I cannot find that reference now.  I did not base it on introduction dates.   I based my comment my observation on what happened during setup of the Marq.  Whenever I made changes to the the two Connect iQ watch faces/widgets on my android device it took a noticeable amount of time for the changes to appear on the Marq watch.  So much so that for a while I thought the changes were not going to appear.  This was much different that my Fenix 6 Pro experience where such changes with the same phone were instantaneous.  In every day usage, I don't notice a difference at all.  Not a technically supported reply I know, just anecdotal, but that is where my comment came from.

• Your comment got me thinking. I don’t know the exact hardware (maybe someone else knows how to look this up on FCC or similar), so I downloaded three CIQ benchmarking apps: CIQ Benchmark, Tree Benchmark and 3D Benchmark. After installing the apps, I hard reset both watches (20 second press of the light button) and rebooted, before running the benchmark apps (so both watches are on an even footing from any background processes).

Results:

CIQ Benchmark.

• 6X Pro Solar “CPU 4.3/27.8 Pips”
    • MARQ Athlete “CPU 4.3/27.8 Pips”
    • so a dead draw

Tree Benchmark:

• 6X Pro Solar “3787”
    • MARQ Athlete “3703”
    • marginal win to the 6X

3D Benchmark (run for a minute):

• 6X Pro Solar - mostly “6” but dropped briefly to “5” for short periods
    • MARQ Athlete - solid “6” throughout
    • marginal win to MARQ Athlete

So what? I’m pretty sure they both have the same processor.

• Thanks for your investigation. It's Realy kind of you and much appreciated.

About the test, it couldn't have been wiched more significant and accurate.

As a matter of fact, and considering Garmin R&D, i wouldn't have supposed that Garmin didn't have declined Fenix hardware platform for all alike devices, and just making software marketing things.

Thats what you've briantly prouved.

Even though that didn't explain such configuration delay between the two watches. It looks like it is due to Android's plateform even more than to the watch.

Can you explain, why did you have bought booth watches, and which practice for ?

• Apparently the series is here to stay, a new model just introduces

MARQ Captain: American Magic Edition