This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Physio True Up has it ever worked??

Yesterday I did a ride through the forest wearing my Marq, using my Edge 1030 and wearing a HRM-Run strap.  Both the Marq and Edge were connected to the HRM strap, speed, and cadence sensors.  Both devices show very similar ride data, the same average heart rate, the same max heart rate.  Both devices are setup with exactly the same heart rate ranges.  On the Marq it shows a 5.0 for aerobic training effect:

on the Edge 1030 it shows a 3.9

Both devices are also showing different time in zone figures, despite exactly the same zones being configured, and the same max and average heart rates:

The training load on both devices and showing in Connect is also different.  The same issues have been discussed in the Fenix 5 forum for over a year when searching back through, has anybody found a solution to this?

is there a recommendation from Garmin on how we should use a Marq in conjunction with an Edge device?  Isn't Physio TrueUp supposed to address exactly this requirement?

Top Replies

All Replies

• I always did it without recording on the edge (technically recording but discarding the ride)

arguably having to wear the watch on a bike ride is not the best of ideas, especially if you do anything like downhill or MTB in general, so I agree

I think the problem is the way Garmin licenses the metrics from Firstbeat, they are on a device basis, not GC (which then makes for the halfbaked workarounds we have now)

I think it works ok if the devices have the same level of firstbeat metrics (trueUp worked ok for me with edge 520 and fenix 5s), but now with several models not having the same features it’s messed up again

we wouldn’t be in this mess if GC was the data master and the dvices the slaves, synch would be trivial (and no need for convoluted TrueUp mechanisms)

• Same problem, different training status comes from different 'Load' and 'Effect'.  Anyway, looking like it is fixed with the latest beta firmware Slight smile

Re using the Marq as the primary device, yes you can, but I didn't buy the Edge as a display.  Also the Marq doesn't support ANT+ FE-C profile which is used for smart trainers.  I have a fixed exercise bike which will talk to the Edge but not to the Marq.  Nothing is easy.

As says below, it would be ideal if this was driven by GC and not the device.  They could enable the metric based on the wearable to solve licensing requirements...  Anyway, for me better than it was and so pretty happy.