This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No TE and no training load

Hello

i have a marq expedition since one week.

i have no TE value using Trail runing or Run.

no VO2 max 

and no recovery Time.

i did 7 activities and all my activities have training load 0 (run 20km...)

is this normal ?

thanks !

Top Replies

All Replies

• Are you saying the same limitations as in Fenix apply, e.g. "Trail Run" would not give Vo2max or Training Load ? thank you

• Trail run doesn't give Vo2Max. That really isn't a limitation, that was a decision that I believe was made based on user feedback. 

It does give Training Load. 

• I'm curious why trail running doesn't input into VO2 max and what the nature of the user feedback was that led to that decision.

According to , ascents/descents should be accounted for in the calculation: forums.garmin.com/.../altitude-adjusted-vo2-max

• You would have to dive back into the forums to find the detailed answer. Long story short some felt that the decrease in average pace that can be expected on some trail runs would negatively affect their fitness as indicated by VO2max. In reality VO2max is a guesstimated number that is only that - a number. Decreasing VO2max as a result of running on trails using the 'Run' activity really only affects your bragging rights. VO2max is just one small element of a number of indicators that determine how fit you are. And the best determinant of your fitness is performance.

Most of my running is offroad on trails. I only use the normal 'Run' setting to record all my activities. As a consequence, if I do do a lot of very technical hilly running, my VO2max usually drops a point or two. Am I any less fit? No. I am stronger and have more endurance. That shows (hopefully) when I run an event. At which point, my VO2max might increase by a point or two. And if I do some road running, usually at a faster pace, my VO2max will also climb a point or two.

• According to Firstbeat’s HermanB in the above link, the VO2max calculation does take the change in effort resulting from ascent/descents into account

• Simple answer is that what most people consider trail running includes almost non-stop changes in elevation, direction and intensity. The combination of these factors produce a data set that is very, very challenging to interpret reliably and consistently. It's basically a relentless attack on the credibility of the variables being analyzed. Keep in mind that the inputs are pace (from GPS) and intensity of effort (derived through analysis of HR). The twists and turns of a trail, not to mention things like trees, challenge the reliability of momentary pace via GPS... and HR is a great method of looking at intensity, but HR doesn't respond instantly to variation in intensity. There's a solid delay between when you kick it up a gear and before your heart gets up to speed. The constant uphill, downhill, over a root, around a rock, through a stream, etc of trail running means that intensity is always changing. 

The key to any good analysis is the ability to recognize the difference between meaningful and unmeaningful data. In the face of practically constant change, that's very difficult indeed.