This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Scratches on MARQ Athlete

Has anyone had an issues with scratches on the bezel of he MARQ Athlete?  I had a Fenix 5 for 2 years with never an issue. I have had this for just a few weeks and only used on a handful of sporting events and already there is a huge scratch.  Surprising as the Fenix never had this issue (yes I know it didn't have the coating).

Has anyone else had this issue?

• Since folk are quick to quote DC Rainmaker on here, thought you might be interested in this from his review- 

"On the ceramic bezel, Garmin made note to me numerous times on multiple occasions on multiple continents that they went to extreme measures to try and find an ultra-scratch resistant material compared to any watch they’ve ever made. Many months later I haven’t managed to scratch mine yet, but I also haven’t dragged it along the concrete walls either. I’m clumsy, so at least so far so good."

"

• Hello Ray. Thank you for this long awaited review! You wore the watch several weeks. Did you notice scratches on the Titan surface? I took a look at the Marqs at the Roth Challenge Fair and found the Material a little bit „soft“. Had doubts if it tends to look ugly very fast. What are your experiences?

• JJS says:

Thank you once again for your reply! Good to know that my fears obviously won't come true... And yes: This might be the explanation for the "cheap feeling" in Roth. Maybe this were dummies or protos!

• DC Rainmaker says:

No obvious scratches to me.

The vast majority of the photos in this review were all taken in the few hours prior to publishing. Basically everything except the Series Overview section, Unboxing and some of the 'Day to Day Basics' photos (some are older, some were Friday).

As for the units at Roth, I frankly wouldn't be surprised if they were super old demo units (like, from January). Perhaps even earlier prototypes.

"

• Sorry but if you zoom in on the photos he has on his website,  u can clearly see that the athlete has scratches all over the bezel! 

Maybe is nothing for him ( is also nothing for me ) but for many people here that is anot acceptable.  I also agree DLC on a 1500 watch was the worst decision ever.  

• Hi guys, so I got the driver model and I got scratches also. Below "GARMIN" at 6 o clock, on the bezel's edge. So provided that its DLC, can I fix it or I have to live with them? Thanks

• So re the RMA Garmin have stated the scratches are result of impact and therefore not covered by the warranty. They offered to replace my 6 week old £1400 watch for £650...not the resolution I was expecting!!

As I have reiterated to them I only wore the watch for 6 weeks and mostly in my office and it has scratched in 4 different places including badly on the top and bottom next to the straps. 

I have tried to escalate the issue with them but not hopefull.

In my opinion (as a previously loyal Garmin customer) beware if you are thinking of buying this watch!

• I though the driver was supposed to be "Ceramic Bezel" ? If so then I dont understand how you got that scratch :( 

• if I recall correctly, it should have been a door case 

• yes, its a Ceramic Bezel, but thr Bezel is edged between Titan... black is not a good color for metal because the coating is always susceptible to scratches. I woud have also scratches on my Captain, but I could easily remove these with a nail polish (the titanium frame stands above). 

• Can you please show a photo/give some instruction on how to use this nail polisher to fix scratches?

I have the Marq Aviator and got some scratches on the bracelet. 

• At the clock, above, the area between Bezel and Glas, where there are always scratches, the bridge is only 0.5mm wide. If you polish there you will not see anything afterwards. On the bracelet you will always see traces of sanding. That's why I would not do anything on the bracelet. This will only make it worse.

• I have the same problem with my Marq Athlete, previous Fenix 5x owner - with no problems on that Watch, but now my Marq Athlete has a scratch just below the "36" marker - crap!  Now I'm nervous as h*ll to get it scratched Again on the bezel !!!

Garmin --> How can you help with this issue?!

Seriously, I was stunned when I read this link, as I see many others have this issue, something I did not come to expect from a $1500 Watch. I bought mine as a Watch store in Denmark, but not shure for returning it, as it has been +3 months, and how Garmin has responede to other RMA cases, as I have read below - yikes!

I actually don't know how I even got the scratch to begin with, as I am usually very careful with my watches, but this is now my daily driver, and something tells me, I maybe should have waited for the Fenix 6x, as this may not be an issue on that Watch.

Just doesn't make sense, as the Marq series should be better built --- Garmin --> Didn't you test for this?!?!

I loved my previous Fenix 5x ... Garmin, please make me love my Marq Athlete Watch also!!!

What to do?!