This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Scratches on MARQ Athlete

Has anyone had an issues with scratches on the bezel of he MARQ Athlete?  I had a Fenix 5 for 2 years with never an issue. I have had this for just a few weeks and only used on a handful of sporting events and already there is a huge scratch.  Surprising as the Fenix never had this issue (yes I know it didn't have the coating).

Has anyone else had this issue?

• So why not buy the Expedition? It has a titanium bezel without any coating.

(You can also buy the Aviator which has the most durable ceramic bezel).

All watches have the same fitness functionality. 

• I have thought about it but I have no use for compass readings and leather straps. The leather strap is easily replaced with a rubber strap but don’t like the idea of looking at compass readings especially every time I look at the watch.

It would have been great to own the Athlete but am also fine not owning it. Happy to wait until V2...... Slight smile

• I actually considered the Expedition and even the Driver model.  However i don't like the markings since I do actually primarily use it for sports and don't need the features of the other watches.  I like the Vo2max and recovery indicators.  I do wonder how hard it would be to get a custom made ceramic bezel.  Maybe not everyone would, but I would have paid another $250-500 to have the same bezel but in ceramic.

In my opinion, this is not a watch that is ready to be sold at premium retailers that currently offer it.  Hopefully the next generation is it, at least w/ respect to the DLC coating.  I'm sure it's a learning process for Garmin as well.  I'm happy that they went this route, even if it takes a few tries to get right.

• Exactly.  Those are watches that actually look good worn over long time.  They age very well and you could get them polished every so often if you wanted to.  That being said, I still like the MARQ a lot.

• I've had my Athlete for 3 weeks now. I understand 3 weeks isn't very long, but the watch has only been available to purchase for like 2 months maybe? I've been on 15 runs, walked my dog every day, pushed mowed + weed whacked my yard three times (takes me two hours each time), been golfing twice, an amusement park once, and a very drunkard weekend in the city (who knows what I may have bumped against), and I don't have a single scratch on mine. I also recall two very distinct moments where I bumped a desk and a door with my wrist and thought to myself "Oh no that definitely scratched it" and to my pleasant surprise it still looks like the first day I got it. That being said, no I have not been rock climbing, or through a tough mudder type event, or work on a car, or anything too risky like that. I always have my watch on though. Work, athletic adventures, sleeping, showering, the only time it's not on my wrist is when it's charging. I'm also very aware that by submitting this post, I will certainly have a deep scratch on it within 24 hours haha.

• Yes mine has started to show signs of multiple scratches after 6 weeks. Just normal use...running, cycling, gym work and general daily use. Really disappointing as I’ve had the Fenix series watches for many years and been really pleased with how they have worn.

I have contacted Garmin and retailer and await a response.

It would be good to see a response from Garmin on this forum.

• If you have a problem and you want a response from Garmin, then contact them directly.

• I'd be curious to know what kind of response you'll get. Mine has also started scratching up after just a couple of months. My former Fenix 5X Plus fared much better and had no similar scratches / dents after a year.

I cannot even remember hitting the watch against anything, and still it has several visible white dents after this short time. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out the bezel on the Athlete?

• As an update...I have spoken to Garmin and they have agreed an RMA. Hopefully the replacement will fair better!

• Previously, I had used Fenix 3 silver without any visible scratches before buying Fenix 5X. Actually it was getting scratches, but as it was almost the same colour with the bezel material they weren't visible. However, Fenix 5X has a dark gray/black colour coating and it scratches. In more expensive models they had preferred more metallic colours I think. But I couldn't understand why they released MARQ watches with black coating as it'll get scratches and the look will be disturbed. Fenix series gets scratches but we say wounds from war, as it's used more for the functionality than the look. However, MARQ is preferred mostly for the look and its bad that it scratches and that look is lost...