This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

MARQ series bluetooth performance (music)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing a similar type of behaviour when attempting to play music and run/ride. I own a MARQ Expedition and have so far tried using:

Jabra Elite Active 65T Bluetooth 5 (wouldn't stay connected after switching on/off; infrequent dropouts);

-->had the Jabras exchanged for a brand new pair- same problem!

Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless Bluetooth 5 (dropouts when an activity is initiated)

TaoTronics TT-BH07 (dropouts when activity started)

TaoTronics TT-8H16 (dropouts when activity started)

Anker Slim+ Bluetooth 5 (dropouts when activity started)

Plantronics Backbeat Fit 3100- dropouts

Aftershokz Trekz Air- hurray, almost no dropouts but horrible!!!!! sound-->returned

In common for all of the above- perfect when listening to music in watch mode; various degrees of cutting out when starting any activity

Any ideas? I am really puzzled how pretty much everything seems to work fine with the new Forerunner FR945 (going by the earphones impressions thread)

Cheers,

Nick

• The worst cut-outs from the Jabra Elite Active 65t ear buds is when i just start to run out of range from my phone. They are nearly unusable until I hear "Device disconnected" or whatever it is that the voice says when the phone finally drops connection. Once that is done, life is generally good. Sometimes I'll go a full hour without a cut out. Others I'll run by something environmental (big microwave communications dish on the side of a building near a trail we run) and they will stutter a bit. 

I'm overall happy with the ear buds. Especially once i figured out that they are more reliable at reconnecting to the watch once they have connected to my phone. Something odd is happening on that first device connection with Jabra. If the watch is the device that triggers the "2 devices connected" announcement from the headphones generally life is good. 

• In my case, the issues have nothing to do with multiple connections happening at the same time. I made sure to only have the watch and the respective earbuds in close proximity to each other...

Appreciate the suggestion though!

• to be clear, without the phone being the first device to connect to the 65t, the initial connection would sometimes fail. Not sure why. If the watch is the device that triggers the "2 devices connected" announcement, then the initial connection is reliable. I think Jabra is doing something odd at the start looking for a special connection to the Jabra app where you can set EQ and whatnot. 

So the process that I've basically adopted is to just pull the headphones out of the case, put them in my ears and let them connect to my phone. I then start music on the phone and get the "2 devices connected" announcement on the headphones. Music starts playing from the watch. 

Note: At this time the buttons on the headphones don't seem to work well. Until I run out of range of my phone or turn off bluetooth on the phone music must be controlled via the watch. 

Once music is playing from the watch, I generally pause it via the watch controls. I put on my HRM-Run if i'm going to use it and head outside. I then start my activity to get a GPS lock. Use the controls on the watch to start music (if I've not already heard the device disconnected announcement from the earbuds signifying that the phone is now out of range). Once GPS lock is obtained I usually wait a few more seconds while getting ready to run. Then i set off. 

If i have not heard "Device disconnected" on the ear buds before setting off, bluetooth performance between the watch and headphones is terrible. Once the ear buds announce that the phone is no longer trying to connect, all is well and the ear bud buttons control the watch as expected. 

I understand that your situation is a little different, but i wanted to detail my process in case anyone else runs into some of these issues. 

• Wanted to bite here because bluetooth has been miserable and bought the Jabra's as a possible solution.  I've spent a lot of time trying to connect, reset watch, bluetooth off on phone, etc. and something like this did get it to connect.  Then, I lost pairing the next day, eventually got it back, and it held today. 

But a further problem.

When I go out and run, the bluetooth is OK, well not with the Jabra's but with the Plantronic's.  However, when I stop and walk, the bluetooth cuts out.  If I pull my arm up, do a left-handed pledge of allegiance, bluetooth connects.  I only have to raise my arm a couple of inches and it's OK.  Basically, my left arm at my side is too far for the bluetooth.  

The only other device I use is a Garmin HRM and the watch near that wrecks bluetooth audio on the Jabra.

• I have the Jaybird Run XT and have no dropouts and connection problems with my Athlete. I also have the Jaybird X3 with no issues...

I run with a HRM Run and a STRYD footpod.

• Yep. Not to mention that the Plantronics cannot even maintain a good enough connection between the left and right earbud. Let alone with the watch. 

I have nearly given up on running with music.. 

• Everyone, Garmin is working directly with Jabra on improving the connection with their headphones and has come out with the following support article.  When there is more information, I will update this thread.

Support Article:

Connecting Jabra Elite 65t Headphones with Garmin Music Watches

Garmin is aware of an issue that can sometimes prevent Jabra Elite 65t and Jabra Elite Active 65t headphones from automatically connecting to a Garmin Music watch after taking the headphones out of the charging box.  Garmin is continually working to improve the connecting with Bluetooth headphones.

To connect to these headphones, Garmin suggests the following:

1. Navigate to the Music Control Widget on the watch
    2. Take the Jabra Elite 65t headphones out of the box
    3. Wait for the headphones to connect

If the Jabra Elite 65t headphones do not connect within 10 seconds, place them back in the charging box and try again. 

Note: Only pair the headphones with one device at a time.  If paired with the watch and smartphone, the headphones will attempt to connect to the phone.

• Sorry but this isn't the main problem. What about music dropping out no matter which earphones I am using? I have contacted Garmin multiple times and was assured that this is being looked into.

I hope that this post isn't the only result based on my 3 week wait for something to change....Not being able to pair one given set of earphones pales in comparison to the issue of music playback being so bad that the watch becomes unusable for listening to music, while performing an activity. 

• I can only assume that you are running in a much more signal rich environment than I am. I'm not having "unusable for listening to music" with my 65T AND I've found a different work around than the one posted by for me, I just make sure the headphones connect to my phone first and then the watch as the 2nd device. This works well and I rarely have any pops or clicks on my run once i'm far enough away from my phone for the jabra voice to announce "device disconnected." Occasionally on a run the music will skip or pop for a second, but I chalk it up to something environmental as it only lasts for a few seconds and generally not more than once a run. 

• I concur.  I pretty much can’t use this watch on my left wrist for walks / hikes with music/podcasts.  Running it’s OK because it’s closer to the headphones.  So, I have t switch, my $1500 watch to my right wrist if I go hiking because the signal is too weak.

It’s also not just the Jabra, although, they were pretty terrible before I returned them.