This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

All MARQ models (but Aviator) share the same firmware

Former Member
Former Member
Interesting observation: I've compared the firmware files and it turns out all the different models share the same firmware. Meaning that all "special" features are in all watches.

$ sha1sum *.gcd
8af1e34ab18b2fffcffa7054fd503e6d2a022059 MARQAthlete_310.gcd
95aa161159763fc5a05457528c0076c20d317b70 MARQAviator_310.gcd
8af1e34ab18b2fffcffa7054fd503e6d2a022059 MARQCaptain_310.gcd
8af1e34ab18b2fffcffa7054fd503e6d2a022059 MARQDriver_310.gcd
8af1e34ab18b2fffcffa7054fd503e6d2a022059 MARQExpedition_310.gcd

So technically, Garmin would already be able to let us switch between the different "themes", e.g. "Expedition", "Athlete", "Driver" or "Captain". The Aviator model has the aviation stuff added, so that's missing from the other ones, though.
  • Next step is tear down all 5 devices to see hardware differences.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    Next step is tear down all 5 devices to see hardware differences.

My guess is that the hardware is identical on all models. That's the only economical option. Similar to how the D2 Delta has the same hardware as the Fenix 5 Plus. It's only different housings and firmwares. In case of the MARQ watches, the "mode" seems to be programmed in an area that's not overwritten by a system firmware update.
  • My guess is that the hardware is identical on all models. That's the only economical option. Similar to how the D2 Delta has the same hardware as the Fenix 5 Plus. It's only different housings and firmwares. In case of the MARQ watches, the "mode" seems to be programmed in an area that's not overwritten by a system firmware update.

Makes sense to me. I bet you can still write Aviator files to any other Marq. I like the appeareance of the expedition better over aviator :).
  • There was a presentation about the MARQs at the CIQ developer summit, and on some the "uniqueness" is with CIQ apps. For example, the "Driver" part of the driver is in the app store, and only available for that model.
  • Jim, I have no idea how ciq apps are protected (and can be) on store - you can just copy the files from one device to another. During my tests I normally run apps from fenix 5 plus on MARQ, just copied.

MARQ Aviator can enable 5-sec mode in Sony GPS chip, that requires different approaches to handle the data in the code.
  • mbirth, we'll see, I hope, internal photos from FCC
  • Jim, I have no idea how ciq apps are protected (and can be) on store - you can just copy the files from one device to another. During my tests I normally run apps from fenix 5 plus on MARQ, just copied.

Music apps are protected. Once installed on a watch, they are hidden - you'll not be able to find the .prg and copy it. Same with the data they download. They could also do checks they are running on a specific part numbered device.

• It doesn't surprise me the Aviator variant would be different. There are more stringent requirements for devices that connect to type-certified avionics and it's my understanding the MARQ Aviator does interface with a number of avionics systems. I'm not certain that's the reason but it's plausible. (disclosure: worked in aviation management for a decade)

• Did you find a way to unlock this? Lol! 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

The special features arent even in the watch. All watches bar the Aviator have the same CIQ apps and it's likely the case that the firmware enables certain features based upon the hardware id.

It's sensible from a software development and deployment perspective as only a single FW needs to be tested against a single hardware variant.