Instinct swim distance accuracy

I have been getting inaccurate swim distances. My swim times are constant so it's not my lap counting.

When I swim I swim 300m breaststroke and have a break using the timer and then swim my next set of 300m.

I swim 4 sets of 300m.

I have used my  watch 4 times and each time my distance has been incorrectly recorded. Usually + or - 50m in one or two of the sets each swim day.

Is this a fault or is there a way I can correct it?

• Water makes the gps lose fix and being extremely inaccurate. Breaststroke makes things even worse as your hand is under the water most of the time. Freestyle and backstroke work better. So when the watch gets irrelevant points (for example on the land while you're swimming) it does the best it can to filter out those irregular points and draw a line as close to real as possible.This is the reason that while you do your break, the watch often continues to count meters.. I was pissed off when I first realized it and I often not pause the activity during my break just to let it settle. It does a relatively good job at it, but it's not perfect. You can see how much irrelevant info the watch gets if for example you use walking instead of swimming in your next swim as a test.  You'll see points flying all over land and sea..

The only thing you can do to improve the accuracy is to keep your watch over the water as much as you can during your swimming and your break to reduce fix losses. I've found STROKES  a far more reliable metric than distance..

• Possible you're moving your wrist around at the end of each set. When you finish your 300m set press Lap and that will put you into a Rest. When you want to resume swimming press Lap again.