Instinct - 9.95 Public Beta

Hello Instinct users,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Please read the 'notes' and 'installation instructions' in the 'Updates and Downloads' page found in the link below. We look forward to your feedback!

Instinct: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14527

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

9.95 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed stress recording during Yoga activities.
  • Fixed issue with Hourly Alert setting when accessed from SET menu.

For any issues that you encounter, please send an email to [email protected]. In your email please include the software version, and a detailed description of your issue, along with any steps to reproduce. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.

• This update has completely messed up my altimeter, fluctuating up and down for no reason. 

Started yesterday on an evening walk altimeter jumped up to over 900 metres Elevation from 240 metres, straight back down, and has continued doing it today. 

No changes in weather, no sweat blockage of sensor, only watch software fault. I have noticed the drift being worse the last few updates also. 

These are from just a 15 minute period where I was not even moving. 

• I was just about to post the same thing. I live in a place where the altitude is around 310m. After the last update my altimeter spikes up and down from +1800m to -1800m for no apparent reason

• After reading this post I checked my update and the altitude is off also, considerably! Also, is there an a.m./p.m. indicator? I have yet to see or discover one.

• There isn't an am or pm indicator in 12 hour mode, but there is the option to use 24 hr or military mode. 

• Thanks. I wasn't sure if I had missed something about an am/pm indicator. Perhaps they will add that. Maybe an oversight. As for the altitude issue, I calibrated mine and so far it seems to be working. Maybe try that and see if it corrects the issue.

• I calibrate my watch many times each day, mostly when I leave my house. I also remove the watch and gently slam it on my thigh to remove any excess water each time I wash my hands. Calibration helps but it is really annoying if you have to do it every hour..

• I haven't seen any spikes with my watch today, except for one instance which I think was due to sweat blocking the sensor as it was hot and I was working outside. 

I think one of the drift issues is that because the watch has to count stairs climbed, in automatic it switches to altimeter mode very soon after detecting wrist movement.  So if you are walking around the house or anywhere at the same altitude the changes in air pressure due to weather will register as Elevation changes as you are moving around.

It changes to altitude mode fast enough that I can be sat for a long time, then get up, go into the kitchen and head upstairs and it will log my stairs climbed. 

Where as my other watch with an altimeter, a Suunto, doesn't count stairs but suffers less altitude drift as it takes several minutes of walking before switching from Barometer mode on the watch face to altimeter mode, when outside of a recorded activity. 

When recording an activity both watches register all changes in air pressure as Elevation changes whilst moving. 

• I just calibrated to 6400 ft. and then ran an errand and the altimeter is way off by 1474 ft. I live in Colorado at 6400 ft and when I returned home it showed 7874 ft. and the base was 6045. It needs to be fixed. I recalibrated by gps after returning home and it now shows 6403 ft.

• Very frustrating.  I only updated to the latest beta because the route navigation kept crashing on the previous update. 

You can always try a soft reset by holding down the top left button until the watch turns off. 

Or reinstall the previous update.  Hopefully there will be a fix sooner rather than later. 

"If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file, found in the System_Backdate_v920 folder, into the \GARMIN folder of the device.

NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults"

www8.garmin.com/.../download_details.jsp

• This Beta is an absolute disaster. Yesterday during a 16km hike on flat land

a) Altimeter was fluctuating massively between -300m and +500m

b) The 16km track shows up with 16000km in Garmin Connect

What on earth is Garmin doing with the Instict firmware lately. Complete disgrace!