Tempe sensor tracking precicion

If you connect the tempe sensor to the Instinct you can see the current temperature with one decimal place.
But if you look at a recorded activity in Garmin Connect or offline in Basecamp the temperature graph only shows whole numbers.

I get it that the temperature sensor in the watch doesn't need such precision.
But for a temperature change over time it is in my opinion important to the see changes smaller than 1 °C.

Is it a bug for the Instinct or do only I face this problem?
I heard that other watches from Garmin record temperature with decimal points.

• I checked activities of many diverse devices on activities of my Connections and Groups, and they all record the temperature as integer values only. Only averages are given with the precision of one decimal digit.

• Did you use the tempe sensor or just the internal sensor in the clock?

• I did not use anything, I just checked diverse other devices with internal temp. sensors of other people, to verify whether they record the tempearature with decimal points as you claimed, or not. Apparently they don't, and there is no reason to think it would differ from Instinct if they used the Tempe sensor instead. The temperature field simply looks like an integer value, so the decimals are not being shown.

• Tanks for the effort trux

Here is an example on an review of the tempe where the temperature was stored with greater precision than one degree. (in the graph) But it was actually an hand held device and not a watch.
    https://www.trailspace.com/gear/garmin/tempe/

I also read it in another test where they used a Oregon 750t, GPSmap 64s and vivoactive HR with tempe. They claimed the higher precision was stored in the track.
    https://gpsradler.de/praxistest/garmin-tempe-sensor-test/ (not in English)

Whether it is in other devices or not I consider it useful in order to determine the temperature change. Especially because the temperature often changes only a few degrees during an activity. I think it would be a simple fix, because the temperature is already displayed to one decimal place. Just a change of data type in the watch.

• They claimed the higher precision was stored in the track.

Where exactly? I do not see the claim. Yes, I understand German, but do not have the patiency to read the entire page. The graph on the page does not look using a finer temp. resolution, and the only value shown with a decimal point is the again just the average value.

I think it would be a simple fix

Hard to tell, changing a variable type is often a major hassle in programming, and may trigger many other changes in database structures, and in many connected routines. However, it is something the user forum cannot help you with. You need to speak to Garmin directly - try https://www.garmin.com/forms/ideas/

• he graph on the page does not look using a finer temp. resolution

Here is the graphic from the fist link. I can only assume you didn't find it. The blue line has a lot of data points between whole numbers

Where exactly? I do not see the claim

From the second link: "Vom Sensor werden zwei Nachkommastellen übertragen und auch im Track gespeichert." In the graph from this article it is hard to tell how accurate the temperature is stored due to scale from 0 - 40 °C

You need to speak to Garmin directly - try https://www.garmin.com/forms/ideas/

I will try that, thx

• The first link is irrelevant since it is not referring to Garmin Connect. I have no doubts the Tempe self can report data with higher accuracy. The question is how it is stored in Garmn Connect.

Vom Sensor werden zwei Nachkommastellen übertragen und auch im Track gespeichert.

OK, I see it now.

We can verify it in two ways. First of all export one of the Activities using the Tempe sensor, in a GPX file format, then open it in a text editor, and check out the values in the tags <ns3:atemp></ns3:atemp> at couple of keypoints. The tag <ns3:atemp> is used for the internal sensor, and I am not sure if the same one is used for tempe too, but normally there is only the temperature, cadence, and the heart-rate in the extensions block of each keypoint, so you'll see it easily if the Tempe values are in a different tag.

The other way is checking what Garmin Connect loads to the page, in the JSON data structure. Call the following URL to see it: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activity-service/activity/XXXXXXX/details where you replace the XXXXXXXX with the numeric ID of the concerned Activity as seen at the end of its URL when opened in a browser. The temperature values are the fourth ones in each series in the "metrics" block. If in doubts, post the code here, or post a link to the Activity, and I'll tell you exactly.

• The first link is irrelevant since it is not referring to Garmin Connect. I have no doubts the Tempe self can report data with higher accuracy. The question is how it is stored in Garmn Connect.

It is screenshot from Garmin BaseCamp, where you can directly view the fit files that are saved on the watch. I used the same software to view my fit files and convert it to other formats. The fit viewer displays one more digit, but it is always zero. As you can see in the screenshot. 

I converted this fit activity to gpx and checked the file. There are two values for temperature, but both are integers. (e.g.<gpxtpx:atemp>15</gpxtpx:atemp> and <gpxx:Temperature>15</gpxx:Temperature>)

I also checked the Garmin Connect uploads as you proposed. It is the same as the Garmin BaseCamp viewer which displays one digit after the decimal point, but it is always zero.

It seems to me like Garmin fit files supports higher accuracy, but it is not recorded by the watch.