Edit .fit-file for Sports

Hello guys,

im having a relatively detailled question.

First the problem:

Im going to visit a Bikepark and want to track the activity --> Ive seen a few posts for this already in the internet regarding Garmin watches

The best possibility i saw was to pause the tracking manually after each run, to not track going uphill in the lif

--> I am so sure that i forget to press pause and play each time, so i want to avoid having to do this!

Half solution:

I think basically the Ski/Snowboard activities are doing exactly what i want .... 3D-speed etc. and auto-pause on lifts and also counting rounds --> PERFECT

But heres the Problem:

When i Copy the Snowboard-Activity and rename it to Bikepark, in Garmin its still named Ski/Snowboard and shows a Snowflake and it can not be shared do Komoot/Strava

Heres my solution: (But for sure i dont know how the instinct software is handling the internal stuff)

I think the "Bikepark" activity only has to be a combination of Ski/Snowboard, but the sports-definition has to be changed to Mountainbiking or somethinng

Heres my question:

Is it possible to Edit the GARMIN/Sports/Bikepark.fit-file (which contains the settings for the activity) and change the sport and icon to Mountainbike?

Does anyone know if there is a chance to have some sort of editor or something to change this stuff?

I am already using the fit file repair tool (microsoft access) but no data is showing up

If the activity after uploading is automatically treated as mountainbiking, i think i would have the perfect solution

• Hey guys,

thank you very very much for your big effort!

I think i will also get a hex-editor and experiment with this!

Thanks a lot!

If i find out something i will mention it here!!!

• The only additional question i want to know:

Does your Bikepark-activity now behave like snowboard? Uplifts are ignored etc.

Or does your copying change everything to biking, which means that it behaves exactly like mountainbiking?

--> My goal is, having the Name and the type like mountainbiking, but all functions and behaving like snowboarding

Thanks

• Does your Bikepark-activity now behave like snowboard?

Who knows? I am sitting behind a table...Relaxed

But it could behave like snowboard, because I changed just its header. At least it has the same data screens as the snowboard.

You can try it - but at your own risk. And don't forget that as soon as you copy it to GARMIN/Sports , probably the only way how to delete it is Master Reset...

bikepark.zip

• OK so thats the status from my side:

Before i started this topic i already copied Snowboarding and renamed it to bikepark
    So i hat "Bikepark" with Snowboard icon and snowboard type on my watch
    It seems to behave exactly like you said --> Somehow it is a "system activity" which can not be erased
    If i overwrite it with your bikepark.fit it also seems that i can not update it --> Maybe because its not possible to overwrite such a "system activity"
    --> I will now ignore my activity "Bikepark"

I think you used cycling as template --> i would like to have "Mountainbiking" as template

--> I tried to make my own hex file, using mountainbiking as template, copied the rows i found important and named it CyclingMountainBikeparkMTB (As Garmin names its activities)

--> So with your hard work i got it running and have now the Activity "BikeparkMTB" with type Mountainbiking, the Mountainbiking icon BUT all the DataSides from Swnowboarding

--> Same as your .fit file i can not erase BikeparkMTB from my watch due to the fact that it is handled as "system activity" i think

So MAYBE it worked BUT!!!:

The big question now is: Does it ignore the climbs and only logs the descents?

When i go to BikeparkMTB-settings, i only see the settings like in Moutnainbiking and not like in Snowboarding --> So im not seeing "Automatic Descent"

MAYBE i am lucky and the watch does not give the settings opportunity in a Mountainbike-activity but maybe the "Automatic Descent" is active due to my copying of all the Snowboard-content ....

I will try it as soon as i can and if its working i can post the fit-file here ...

Thanks to all of you

• Hey Guys!

Success!! I was driving a quick round around the block
    --> Uphill the watch paused
    --> Downhill it started to log
    --> Activity-Type is Mountainbiking
    --> Layers/Data-sites are Snowboarding
    --> ATTENTION: I would not recommend to change some of the activity-settings --> I think you can only adjust Mountainbike-settings but things like "Automatic Descent" are not listed, but activated due to the manipulation of the .fit-file via hex-editor

So im attatching my fit-file to this post

KEEP IN MIND: As said:

You are not able to completely erase this activity once you have copied it to your GARMIN/Sports/-folder

(Maybe someone will come up with a solution afterwards)

Maybe some guys of you try it and give feedback if its working like it should ;-)

Thanks a lot to the guys helping me out!

BikeparkMTB.zip:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnkdrtvjx3rypbc/BikeparkMTB.zip?dl=0

• Sorry for reving this old thread. I would like to replicate this on the Fenix 6X. Do you remember what you changed in the file? Only what is marked in red in the screenshot posted previously? Or also further down the file?

Also, how to change the checksum of the file afterwards?

• No prob.

I managed to find the file in an old backup of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7k8hc9w4dw6ck3/CyclingMountainBikeparkMTB.fit?dl=0

Can you tell me if this is helping you?

• Great, thanks! Do you also have a backup of the original snowboard profile so that i can compare what you changed? 

• Thanks again. But both files seem to be not the correct ones. They look completely different in a hex Editor compared to the screenshots from earlier in this thread.