Display speed without starting activity tracking

Hi, is there an easy way to display speed without starting activity tracking? 

Often I am just on a short bike-ride or run and just want to have a quick glance on my speed. However, it seems none of the widgets really has an option to display speed. If I want to see my current speed I need to enter an activity. Not impossible, but clumsy. Also the GPS interface shows just the coordinates and not speed. 

Basically, what I am looking for is a watch face or widget that can show current speed. 

Anybody has an idea if that's possible? 

Thanks 

R

• Simple, start an activity Slight smile I do not understand why should it pose a problem for even a short distance. If you do not wish to keep the activity in your records, simply do not save it at the end, and discard it instead.

• ... or create a custom activity called something like "short bike ride", or whatever else you like, and use it instead of the standard "Cycling activity", if you do not want to fill your Cycling activity list with the short rides. You can delete them anytime later, if you do not wish to keep them.

• yeah - not a big problem. But as all other information can be accessed without starting an activity I hoped there is a way. Using the up and down bottom to get a quick glance at your speed is just significantly easier than starting an activity and then discarding it, if you do it often. 

• I hoped there is a way

Yes, there is - you can create any custom screens with diverse values, including speed or around a hundred of other values, just by using a custom activity. By default, GPS is not on. It is turned on, only when you start an activity with the GPS option enabled. With the exception when you long press the GPS button (or activate the altimeter calibration by GPS).

So, I do not understand your concern. Starting the activity takes typically two button presses (the GPS button to get to the activity menu, and GPS again to confirm the activity, that will be already preselected, if you do it frequently). While activating the GPS function takes probably longer, because you have to press the GPS button for some 2-3 secs. No big difference anyway. So what's the problem?

• . By default, GPS is not on. It is turned on, only when you start an activity with the GPS option enabled

Well then, that's a great explanation. I'll take the route of creating an extra activity. Thanks for your help!