Instinct - 7.55 Public Beta

Hello Instinct users,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Please read the 'notes' and 'installation instructions' in the 'Updates and Downloads' page found in the link below. We look forward to your feedback!

Instinct: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14527

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

7.55 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed wind direction in the Weather widget.
  • Fixed potential issue where leading 0 was missing on Set Time With GPS page.
  • I continually use practically all beta versions of the Instinct firmware, so am well familiar with the install process and never had issues. Today, after installing the beta v7.55, I connected to Garmin Express and it rewrote the beta v7.55 with the v7.20, despite that I did not launch the proposed "upgrade" (in fact a downgrade from 7.55 to 7.20). Unfortunately, the unwanted downgrade wiped out all my settings, too. I had to redo the installation steps incl. pairing of the watch to the GC phone app, and setting it up to my previous configuration.

Anyway, Garmin Express still continues pushing back the v7.20 each time I connect the cable, and there is no other way to disable the unwanted downgrade from 7.55 to 7.20, than manually deleting the file GUPDATE.GCD from the GARMIN folder on the watch.

I reported it to [email protected] as well, just copying it here for others to see

• Darn, should have read your comment. I got v7.20 pushed onto my watch as a new official release despite me running the 7.51 beta and I installed it. This downgrade also caused all my settings to be gone. I suspect the error is in the new official 7.20 as it seems to tell the watch it is newer than 7.51 or 7.55. 

• Seeing as it is a holiday weekend in the U.S., looks like we'll have to wait until at least next Tuesday for a resolution to this problem.

In the meantime, I do not recommend installing the 7.55 Beta software.

HTH

• The 7.20 update is also pushed with 7.51beta installed...

IMHO it's quite strange that the changelog of 7.20 and 7.55beta are the same. Maybe something got mixed up.

• I had read trux's post but took the plunge to 7.55 (always run the latest beta) in the afternoon with no problems throughout the day. Waited until the evening until I synced with Garmin Express on my phone and then immediately turned off Bluetooth. Woke up in the middle of the night, checked the time to find my watch had downgraded itself. 

There's no way the watch would have been able to download 7.20 in the short time I was connected to GE. Lets hope Garmin come up with a quick fix and in the mean time others read our posts and not upgrade. 

• Mine downgraded itself from 7.51 to 7.20 in the middle of the night without asking. Perhaps 7.20 was ment to be 8.20 or something. I suspect there is a mix up in the version numbering

• Same issue here.  I woke up and watch appeared to be factory reset.  When I checked version it was back down to 7.20 as well.

• Same happend to mine. And since then it can no longer sync with the Explore App. Always gets stuck at "Syncing Waypoints". What a mess! Do you have a similar issue? Thread: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/instinct/227071/instinct-stopped-syncing-with-garmin-explore-after-forced-downgrade-from-beta-to-prod-software-7-20

• I've got v7.20 even without trying 7.55 beta version or other beta version. Did I miss official announcement for stable v7.20?

• Upgrade from v7.00 to v7.20 is no problem, since your settings remain preserved, but the enforced downgrading from higher numbered beta version has the catastrophic consequences that all your settings, and customizations are wiped out, and you end up with a watch that you need to reinstall from the beginning (language, phone connection, personal data, customizations,...).

Fortunately I always keep a backup of the entire GARMIN folder on my computer, so was able to restore at least part of the customizations.

And, additionally, if you are not careful or lucky enough, you may end up after the reset with a duplicate GC account, preventing so the syncing of your data to the original account - that's a problem I see here on the forum several times per day, at users who reistalled their watch. Happened to me too, but fortunately I know the symptoms, and was able to fix the issue quickly, without any harm done.