DEM it is unavailable?

I have SW 6.6 0GPS is 2.60

I am out GPS is ON but calibration on DEM is not availible? 

How is possible? I am from Czech republic....

Top Replies

All Replies

• Do you have your phone with you, the BT connection to the watch working, and data for GC enabled?

• Not, I was sync on the morning with my phone.... (wifi, BT on...) I have mobil switch off on my trip...

This is problem, DEM works only BT and my mobile and GC only?

Thank you, I will try with BT - on and data with GC...I will try tomorow and write it.

Second problem is with steps...yesterday is change summer time, but Instinct today have steps same is yesterday... :-( I have after second past midnight 24 000 steps...my be bug for summer time...

• DEM info comes from your downloaded maps. I'm not sure why you were asked about a Bluetooth connection. 

• Garmin are aware of the issue after the recent software update. This is the response I got from the Product Support/Forum Admin.

"Regarding the new DEM feature. It should be updating the elevation using the elevation map built into your watch. It does not require the use of your smartphone so you can take that out of the mix when using the newly added DEM feature.  I am updating my backup Instinct and I will be testing it and emailing you back."

"I was able to replicate and confirm the DEM calibration functionality is not working. I am writing up a report and forwarding it to our Instinct engineers. Thank you for taking the time, including the pictures, and bringing it to our attention.

Please continue to use the GPS option to calibrate or the preferred method is inputting your elevation for best results."

• It should be updating the elevation using the elevation map built into your watch.

That's correct, but only partially. The watch does not have worldwide cartographic data built-in. It needs to download the regional elevation cartographic data, hence at the first use, you do need to have a working data connection, and a BT link watch-phone.

• That makes sense, I was thinking to myself that the watch doesn't have any maps built in to get the data from.

Maybe the Garmin Support person briefly forgot the topic was about the Instinct and not the Fenix 5, easily done when switching from different queries I imagine. 

• Update April 9th, 2020:

There is an issue with the new DEM altimeter calibration feature that was just added into the Instinct watch with software version 6.60. Specifically, the feature has been working inconsistently. Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working on resolving it as quickly as possible.

Also, please note, you must have your Instinct Bluetooth paired to your phone through the Connect Mobile APP to get the altimeter elevation data using the DEM feature.

• our engineers are aware of the DEM feature not working on the Instinct watch

But it does work on Instinct with the firmware 6.60, and it was working already with the beta 6.51. I just retested it, to be sure something did not happen to it, without me noticing it, but it still works flawlessly. I just calibrated the altimeter using the DEM method, and the result was exactly the correct altitude.

• But it does work on Instinct with the firmware 6.60, and it was working already with the beta 6.51. I just retested it, to be sure something did not happen to it, without me noticing it, but it still works flawlessly. I just calibrated the altimeter using the DEM method, and the result was exactly the correct altitude.

Well, something's not right because the DEM calibration does not work on my Instinct or my Instinct tactical

Currently installed software:

Software Version: 6.60 (5d6048c)

GPS: 2.60

BLE/ANT/SNS: 1.20

WHR: 20.03.32

ETE: 5.3.3.11

Watch is paired with phone (iPhone 7 Plus, SW 13.4) and sync'd with Garmin Connect Mobile with the mobile App open in the background.

When I sync with DEM, the watch goes through the following steps:

1. "Acquiring GPS"

2. "Retreiving DEM"

3. "No DEM Elevation available"

then kicks me back to the calibration options screen.

I had not used DEM calibration in a while, but it used to work.  

So yes, is correct when he says, "Please note: our engineers are aware of the DEM feature not working on the Instinct watch and they are working on a resolution."

HTH

• ... for example if you check the thread of the beta v6.51, there were couple of Instinct users who had the same problems using the DEM calibration method too, but after a soft reset (holding the CTRL button untill the watch turns off, and then turning it on again), they reported it started to work just like for others.

As I wrote, for me it still works as it did since the beginning.