Intensity minutes not recorded in line with garmin guides or vivoactive 3

When my instinct is set to auto for intensity minutes recording it senna to Mia read the effort spent and only record minimum minutes usually less than the time spent exercising and none as vigorous even though hr rate was often in threshold or max hr ranges. If I use my old vivoA3 for similar activities it records intensity minutes as expected (also using the auto setting) . I can “correct” the instincts by changing the recording of intensity to based on HR using aerobic zone for normal and threshold for vigorous. I have fed a few recordings into garmin support but didn’t get any updates on what is off. Anyone else notice this? 

• Apols for the crappy autocorrect in the original post, will stick to posting from my PC rather than my phone in future. 

To clarify, my instinct only records normal intensity effort when set to auto even if the HR ranges  recorded are in the threshold or max ranges. My vivoA3 used to record intensity minutes as expected though it took a few firmware updates for it (early adopter) before it recorded any intensity minutes, though as of the latest VA3 7.9? update its seems to have reverted back to not recording much intensity. 

On a MTB ride this morning my Instinct  with it set to HR ranges for intensity minutes (default of aerobic=normal & Threshold =vigorous) it didn't record any intensity minutes despite capturing 13mins aerobic ,  25minutes of threshold  and 5mins of max hr range. Note on every ride I make sure the worn watch is set as preferred activity tracker (though not sure that matters for intensity minutes)  and my activity profile is set to 5 (and has been for the past few years) so something is off for both VA3 and Instinct when recording (or not) intensity minutes at the moment.

Very frustrating and you  cant manually add them in to the connect app (say using aerobic HR range as normal minutes and any HR range above that as vigorous, after they have been missed 

• Looks like when my instinct didn’t record any intensity minutes it had still been on auto. Setting it to hr ranges before this morning’s MTB ride captured a good number which was expected for the hr ranges captured, mostly threshold and max (hilly terrain).

This doesn’t explain why the instinct is so poor at capturing intensity minutes when set to auto. So it would seem Garmin has some tuning of the firmware to do if my instinct is the norm.