This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Yards instead of meters

My latest swim has just started showing in yards instead of meters, despite me checking that I have chosen metric.

My watch (Instinct) is showing the swim in meters as is Connect on my mobile (Android).

Does anyone use yards anymore (apart from our American friends)?

• i have mine set for meters and on my Garmin it shoes meters but on connect it shows yards 

• I realize this is an old post, but you posted in the Garmin Connect Mobile Windows forum where it's likely to get lost. I'm moving this to the instinct forum. 

• I have the same problem on my ForeRunner 935 with Garmin Connect.  So I would question whether this is an "instinct" problem.  It seems that it is actually a Garmin Connect problem.  

• Garmin connect web then, which is more of an "all connect issues" forum. thanks

• So I would question whether this is an "instinct" problem.  It seems that it is actually a Garmin Connect problem.

Personally, I have problems neither with Instinct, nor with Garmin Connect in displaying the chosen units (meters), so I rather suspect it is just a user problem, but it is true that some old watches (i.e. Garmin Forerunner 45) sometimes need a reboot after changing the units. I doubt though that FR935 is concerned.

There are several places where you can customize the units:

1. On the watch (consult your User Manual for instructions, since it differs from model to model)

2. User Settings of Garmin Connect. I am more using the Web app, than the phone app, so you can do it there too - the change works for the phone app too, even if done on the web app. See the dropdownbox Measurment Units on the page Display Preferences

3. At each Swim Activity, you can also choose the lenght of the pool in yards, despite using metric system (and vice versa). That's comprehensible, because in some lands there may be pools with both dimensions. Again check out your User Manual for detailed instructions, but generally it is in the menu of the Swim Activity on the watch.
  •    I have the same (or similar - you tell me) problem. Disappointed

I usually swim in a 50 meter pool, but today I was swimming in both 50m and 33m pools. Both activities are shown in meters on mobile app as well as on watch. However, when I shared my activity (share -> photo with stats), the units were in yards, but only for the swim in 33m pool. I double checked, and 33 meters were selected (not yards) for the pool size, and metric system is set everywhere in settings.

I doubt this is a "user error" as only the pool size was changed (again, I'm positive that 33m size was selected and NOT 33yards).

• following, have the same issue with my 945

• I also have the same issue on my Instinct. It seems to randomly change some swims on the app to yards when I have only ever had it set to meters. Also doesn't do it to every swim just now and again.

• I have the same problem with my Vivoactive 3.  It just started.  The CONNECT app would previously report my swim in meters and cycle in miles.  Now, it's one or the other for both activities.