This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

50 waypoint limit when creating a route in Garmin Explore?

Recently got an Instinct and this morning I created a small 2 mile route to walk using Garmin Explore. When I uploaded the route to my watch and began it, it gave an alert saying I’ve exceeded the 50 point limit and that any points beyond the 50th won’t be displayed.

How can a GPS watch have such a low limit? Can’t even do a 10 mile hike that may have a few hundred waypoints for navigation? Am I just doing this wrong? 

Does the full route still load despite it saying it can't load more than 50 waypoints? What am I doing wrong here?

• In answer to your first part - 50 waypoints is a bit low but for practical navigation purposes, a waypoint at each significant point of navigation will get you a long way on a cross country route.

I'm not sure of the answer to the second part as I am still learning about the Instinct for navigation. I'm pretty sure you get the line on the Instinct map.

• Wow! Just got a Garmin watch. Everything I read about the software suggested 200 points, but alas, I bit the 50 limit. However 50 is seriously rubbish. The sensitivity of the on/off route notifications alone with 50 points is frustrating. It's there really no way round this? I guess the watch is going back!

I thought I had done my due diligence but something always bites you!

• don't give up yet - it only applies when you're making the route in garmin explore. If you build a gpx file elsewhere, or use one that someone else has made available online, and load it onto your watch, the points are located as part of the track itself rather than individual waypoints. Not sure if I'm describing that properly, but you can load long routes via pre-made gpx files with no issue. Give it a shot.

• Phew! I'll give it a try.

Do you mean import the gpx file into the web designer interface or via USB direct cable mass storage?

Basically what would be the workflow?

Thanks

• It's been a while since I've done it, but it can be done wirelessly. If I remember correctly, download the gpx file locally to your computer, and then email the file to yourself. Long press (on iphone at least...) the file in the email, and click 'open with' garmin connect (either that, or garmin explore, but i think it's the connect app). Then sync the app with your watch wirelessly like you would to update your steps/sleep/etc to your phone. The file should now be in your tracks folder on the watch.  

You can also likely do this with the phone connected with a wire to your computer, but that's probably more tedious

• to be honest though, while it's a cool feature to have on a watch, I've found myself just using a standalone gps app on my phone for tracks/gpx files anyway. It crushes the watch's battery life and maps don't look great on a tiny screen. so unless you're doing a quick, several hour day hike, its not gona work very well for a multi-day trek without recharging often. I love the instinct because the battery lasts nearly 2 weeks when not using gps, to track things like steps, sleep, alarms, etc. 

• Well that works fine. Totally weird. And totally counter intuitive. 

So click on gpx in email, load into connect which has nothing to do with maps and it loads fine. Even here you'd expect to load it into the explore s/w.

I only want it for day hiking.I still use other forms of navigation, but if it saves me taking my device out of my pocket half the time in winter, remove a glove press a button or two, replace glove, then even the small advantage it offers will help.

Thanks!

J

• yeah, it's definitely not the most refined app ecosystem or messaging around the difference between waypoints, tracks, etc... And maybe it would still work if you opened it to Explore, I'm not sure. It might end up syncing to the Connect app that way, but who knows. The Explore app is pretty clunky anyway so I use alternate map makers if I'm creating a gpx myself. 

• you need to set the routing activity set up to Non Direct.

on my Oregon it's under Setup - Routing - Activity = Direct. Choosing any other category except Non Direct limits you to 50 waypoints

• Could somebody explain me, what is the "Waypoint"? I have tried many ways how to get my plan / route / course / track to the Instinct watch. I have tested turn by turn navigation, Garmin Express in windows, Connect App for Android,  connect.garmin.com, www.plotaroute.com . I have "Saved locations" in the watch.

But I have never met with Waypoints. What the hell are those fabulous Waypoints? Is this something I use, and I only don't know that it is called Waypoints, or is this something I have not tried yet?