This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why aren't my text notifications working?

I've looked into this a bit, and am wondering why I don't get text notifications on my Instinct.  I unpaired my Instinct and my iPhone XR, re-paired them, and it still isn't working.  I know I can't reply to texts with my Instinct, and that's fine, but I would like to see them.  Thanks for any help!

• So strange. Find my phone works using my Garmin Instinct, and I can use my phone to find my Instinct.  That works fine.  I even get incoming phone-call notifications. But I can't figure out how to get text notifications!

• This was solved for me today via the Garmin help chat.   I was receiving all phone notifications except text notification on an iPhone Xs.  

Verify watch configuration: Settings > Phone > Smart Notifications > Not During activity are set correctly to Show All.

On the iPhone:

• First, make sure that you are updated to the latest iOS 13.5

• Under Settings > Do Not Disturb, ensure that it is Off

• Under Settings > Messages > Filter Unknown Senders is this setting disabled? Toggle this on and then back off again

• Is Settings > Notifications > Show Previews set to Always or When Unlocked? Toggle this to Never and then back to Always or When Unlocked

• Is Settings > Notifications > Messages > Show Previews set to Always or When Unlocked? Toggle this to Never and then back to Always or When Unlocked ß likely this is the setting that was disabled

• I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS WHAT  FIXED MY ISSUE

• Try changing the Banner Style from Temporary to Persistent and then restarting the phone if the above does not help (may also be listed under ALERT STYLE WHEN UNLOCKED)?

• Go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the “ i “ next to Forerunner 630; is Share System Notification enabled? Toggle this on and then back off again

• Thanks for this! I was pretty hopeful that one of these steps would work - actually my "filter unknown senders" was enabled so I disabled it. I shut my phone and my Garmin Instinct off after unpairing them.  Then I turned them back on and re-paired. them.  No! Didn't work.  I even went through those steps you gave again! It's pretty funny - find my watch works, find my phone works, even my music control works!  But I still can't get the text notifications working. So odd.  Again, I appreciate the help.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Shaner41

I have the same exact problem. I get every other notification: Ring, Instagram, Twitter, Phone Calls ~ but not text messages. I have tried everything. So frustrating!!! 

• get every other notification: Ring, Instagram, Twitter, Phone Calls ~ but not text messages.

Well, if you already checked the GCM settings, app permissions, and all the tips from this thread, and also the tips from this list, then check also whether there isn't any anti-spam or caller filtering app installed on your phone (for example TrueCaller, and similar). Such applications often modify the system notifications, making them so unusable for Garmin Connect.

• I have same issue on Venu. Contacted Garmin about it over two months ago. Customer service is appalling. Claimed they had never heard of the issue. Kept asking for the same info. Then asked me to send in files from the watch and phone and never heard from them again. I have sent four emails to chase them but all ignored when normally they have relied on a week.

wore my old vivoactive and they all worked on there. So clearly a watch setting. the problem is not even consist  so there’s noting you can do to make it work. 

they can be working just before you run but then when you go into an activity it’s pot luck! Sometimes you get none, sometimes you get some and sometimes all!

Shame because I like the watch but need to know if I am called or messaged when out on a long run. 

I think it’s a case of fobbing you off until you buy the next model.....but I won’t be. 

maybe if apple can sort their gps and battery issues I’ll go there. 

• It finally worked for me! Not sure exactly what fixed it but I updated my Instinct's firmware to 8.70 and then went through some of the steps listed above and I just got a text message on my Instinct.  Yes!!!! Finally!!!

• I found that on my iPhone I had to go to settings -> notifications   -> set ‘show previews’ to ‘always‘ -> AND THEN on the same screen go down to -> messages -> Then set ‘show previews‘ to ‘always’

I originally had message show previews to never so that when my phone was locked you couldn’t read the message, you could just see a notification and who it was from. Looks like the message has to be visible on your lock screen for these notifications to work! Now working perfectly - this fixed my Garmin Fenix 5 and Edge 530 that I was having issues with. All now work.

• I know this is old, but for anyone searching for a solution here is how I got it to work after trying literally everything else! For reference, I have an iPhone 7 and the Venu watch. Make sure your preview setting for texts is set to always versus never! On the iPhone- go to notifications > messages > show previews and set to always! This fixed the issue immediately for me! 

• This fixed the issue with my new Instinct Surf, paired with my iPhone X. It worked when i checked ALWAYS for the message preview option. I just unchecked the "Locked Screen" to avoid the previews being seen by coworkers lol. I now see them on my watch, which is the way I prefer it anyway.