Instinct Battery Life Issue

It appears I have the dreaded battery life issue on my Instinct. Strange that a watch that prides itself on a 14 day life should be riddled with this battery problem.

The watch is only few days old. It has been charge to 'full' three times already. I have had several Garmin watches before including four Forerunners, two XT triathlon watches, Garmin swim and a Garmin Edge 500. Also a Garmin inReach + .... so I kind of know my way around Garmin but just wanted to know if there was anything obvious I may have overlooked.

The watch is pretty much default other than me changing the watch face and moving some widgets. My watch seems to be connected all the time to my iPhone. This seems to be the default preferred option and probably necessary to use it as a smart watch. That said, I turned off all Smart Notifications just to see what would happen.

Here is my timeline:

2019 05 06 MONDAY
  • Checked to ensure all battery guidelines adhered too. No true track.
  • Updated firmware to 4.0.0
  • Turned off Smart notifications
  • 20:27 Battery shows as Charged Complete (5 Battery bars not flashing)
  • 20:28 Wearing battery. Using wrist HR. Clock face just hh:mm no seconds.
2019 05 07 TUESDAY
  • 05:35 Battery shows only 4 bars, down 1
  • 07:00 Started a run using GPS (Battery 4 bars)
  • 07:45 After a 45 minutes GPS run session another bar down (Battery 3 Bars)
As you can see, within 12 hours I have lost 2 bars. 1 overnight, 1 after a 40 minute run.

I have gone through some YouTube 'Extend Battery Life Of Instinct' videos but the watch seems to have those things done by default.

Do I need to send it back for a replacement? Someone else on here said they had purchased their through REI, which I had too. Maybe they have a bad batch.