Courses does not work

Why doesn't courses work? I've tried many versions (2.80, 2.95, 3.10) and always the same problem. I tired to create courses from existing waypoints and from scratch but nothing works.

It always points me to the last waypoint and give me the distance to that waypoint. ETE and ETA is always wrong, "Next waypoint" is always the same as my final waypoint even if I got 5-6 waypoints in between. Totaly useless.

It worked when the watch was new. If I made a course of, lets say, 6 waypoints the total distance was accurate and if I took a shortcut it jumped to the next/nearest waypoint and the remaining distance was updated and accurate.

Anyone else have this problem?

I hope for a fix soon!

(Swedish = bad english, sorry :) )
  • Same issue with current version 5.70.  I have been trying many ways to get the the "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" data fields to work.  This functionality works perfectly on my GPSMap 64st.

On the 64, I navigate a track and the data fields for "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" for the next waypoint on the track are updated.

I have tried the same technique with the Instinct to no avail, only showing the final destination information just as dpetrol1 describes.  I have imported the same track and waypoints used in my 64 into Garmin Explore (web) and then sync'd to my Instinct via Garmin Explore Android.  I confirmed that the track and waypoints have been transferred to the Instinct. 

I then:

1.  Start a Hike activity /option courses="my downloaded track"

2.  Select Do Course. 

I can see the track and the waypoints on the watch face map, but the waypoint data fields don't update as I hike the track.

I have also tried:

1.  Start a Hike activity /option=Navigation /Courses="my downloaded track"

2. Select Do Course.

Is this a bug?  Am I misinterpreting what the "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" data fields are meant to display?

• I cannot help with this exact way, since I never created a course in this manner. I find that saving an already existing activity as course is much simpler and quicker. And if you want to create a course, it is usually usefull to try to run or ride the route beforehand anyway, so why not using the existing activity.

Once you have ran or ridden the future course route, saved the activity, and synced, go to the activity details on Garmin Connect Web, and under the cogwheel up right, select the option "Save as Course" 

• Thanks for your reply trux. 

First, maybe I need help with terminology for Course, Tracks, Routes.  Tracks and routes are terms I’m familiar with coming from the Basecamp/GPSMap 64 world and are the terms used in Garmin Explorer.  Course is a term used in Garmin Connect which I think is the same thing as a Track.  I’ll be honest, I’m still not sure I have a complete grasp of the detailed differences.  I have just always stuck to tracks when using my GPSMap 64 to navigate a saved or created (via Basecamp) track for hiking.

My issue is trying to get the "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" data fields (see the “Appendix/Data Fields” section of the Instinct owner’s manual) on my Instinct to work. 

For my experiment I had created a course from a short walk around a pond from a Hike activity using the Instinct.  I also saved 4 waypoints along the way.  I then hiked the same course/track using the Hike activity and selecting the Course that I had saved.  I customized my Hike activity data screen to display the "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" data fields.  I expected the data fields to display the Distance and Time to the next waypoint along my course, but only displayed the Distance and Time to the end of the course.  I then exported my course (track) and the four waypoints from Garmin Explore and imported them to Basecamp.  I transferred the track and waypoints to my GPSMap 64.  I again hiked the same path using the 64 to display "Distance to Next" and "Time to Next" data fields.  With the 64, the Distance and Time to the next waypoint along the hike displayed the information for each waypoint along the hike, not just the endpoint.

Again, maybe I’m not using the Instinct as intended.  The Instinct is being marketed as an “Outdoor” GPS watch and the Data Fields listed in the Instinct manual are very similar to the Garmin Handhelds.  So, I would expect them to function in a similar fashion.

Thanks

• Yes, what you save as "course" in Garmin Connect shows up as "track" in Garmin Express. As for the "Distance/Time to Next", I cannot help unfortunatelly. I never used it. I just use the courses to watch and analyze my performance afterwards on GC. I don't use the navigation screen on my watch when running through the course route, since I know it well. And as for the times and distances, I just use the lap data for the real-time information.

So sorry, I can't help here, but perhaps someone else, who uses the feature, will peek in and advise.

• Our Fenix cousins have been fighting the same problem.  I followed the instructions in the link below using Plotaroute.  I finally got the results I have been looking for; full control over the route points that are displayed in the course way point data fields (Time to Next, Distance to Next, etc.).  It shouldn't be this hard.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/192222/next-waypoint-and-distance-to-next-showing-distance-to-next-turn/1007107#1007107