Weather doesn't update

Hi

weather widget dosent update. garmin connect is on in the background (IOS), only when I open Garmin connect the weather updates. On my fenix 5 weather updated when I scrolled to the widget and a location icon appeared in the right corner on the phone. this dosent happens now

• I still get persistent issues with this. It works for a few days then doesn’t work, then it might come back for a bit, then goes again. This has been for months and months. It’s not been built very well. It’s very unstable 

• I am having this trouble too.  Any new tips?

• I use an android phone basically an a50 samsung and tried this one to solve update weather issue in garmin connect app : go to user setting and  set weather location to fixed location and pinpoint your location on the map. that's it. I think there is a comfliction for garmin connect app to get exact location from phone's gps location and causes weather widget to get in trouble for updating. maybe something in background prohibits garmin connect app to get gps location from phone even when you allow "always" permission for location.

• I use an android phone basically an a50 samsung and tried this one to solve update weather issue in garmin connect app : go to user setting and  set weather location to fixed location and pinpoint your location on the map. that's it. I think there is a comfliction for garmin connect app to get exact location from phone's gps location and causes weather widget to get in trouble for updating. maybe something in background prohibits garmin connect app to get gps location from phone even when you allow "always" permission for location.

• I have done everything, and it does not work at all. This is an issue that Garmin needs to fix. I am thinking to return my watch because I see they don’t care about this issues.

• Well, 3 years later and Garmin still hasn´t fixed the problem.

Tried everything, all the tricks. The NOW field in the Weather widget keeps showing completely random temperatures, no matter what.

A $300 watch. Unbelievable.

Instinct Solar v17.00, iPhone X, iOS 15.5, GCM 4.55.2.4

Edited: Just updated to the Beta v17.41. The problem remains.

• Normally, the data on the Weather widget updates at most every 20 minutes. I found by experiments, that you can force the update by restarting the watch. It works every time when you use a fixed location in GCM Settings » User Settings » Weather Location, but if you use the default "Phone Location", I found I had to go outside with the phone, so that it can get the GPS signal (the phone, not only the watch!), before it could load the weather data.

It may differ if you allow the "High Accuracy" location service (on some Android phones), using also WiFi and Bluetooth for the location, but I am not sure about that - I do not use that option, and did not test with it. It may also from phone to phone. However, make sure the Location Services are enabled, and that Garmin Connect has the full permissions to use the anytime. Many phone brands also turn off the Location Services with their power managment and battery optimizing tools, so make sure to verify those settings on your phone too. Without the Location Service there will be no weather data.

For some troubleshooting of the weather widget, have a look also at the document Questions About the Weather Widget on a Garmin Device 

• This still seems to be a problem.  I am also a bit disappointed that I have to rely on my watch to be connected to my phone.  What happens when we are somewhere with no signal?  My weather doesn't show up even if I am connected with my app, have plenty of cell signal, and am in range of my phone.  This is 5 years later.  How is this still a problem?

• How is this still a problem?

Normally it is not a problem. However, if you are are somewhere with no signal, then you will not get any weather data, of course. The watch keeps the forecast for a few days, but without mobile data or wi-fi, there are no updates, and no fresh current weather data either. Not sure whether you mean it should update the data without any connectivity, but unfortunately it is really technically impossible.

Otherwise, if you do not get any weather data despite being connected to a phone with Internet access, then there is definitely a problem in your setup. There are some basic troubleshooting tips available in the article Weather Widget Displays Wrong Information on My Garmin Device | Garmin Customer Support. In the case it does not help, do not hesitate to reach out to the Product Support through their website at https://support.garmin.com 

• Thanks.  Yes, I'm going to keep working on the setup.  I allowed access and restarted my phone and watch.  I also made sure it was connected to the app and did not close the app.  It is good to get the confirmation that there won't be any weather without data.  I thought the GPS system might be able to help, but it seems way more complicated than gathering weather based on location.  I will reach out to support soon.  Thanks for your response.