810G Standard? Really?

Their commercial vid would sure have you believe it's ruggedized, and it's build seems to back that up to some extent. I will likely get one to keep my F3, F5, F5+ Sapphire company.

Wikipedia describes the 810G standard as one with many test categories and parameters, but which the MANUFACTURER can decide, which, IF ANY tests they use to call their product rugged according to its application. If they claim 810G standard they are to specify the parameters AND the tests used. I'm off to the Garmin site to see if they provide these details........
  • Nothing on Garmin.com including in the owner's manual I can find about 810G testing. Did find the watch uses standard spring type watch band pins. Doesn't seem as rugged as screw type in the Fenix and other series.....
  • hi! i looked at that too. as you wrote. it makes a difference if the products is build or testet on 810G. even when written "testet" it does not specify how or who testet it. (it can be done by a third person or by the company itself. and mostly it defines not, if all ore some specs of the 810G are hold or testet. as garmin wrote:
    "Constructed to U.S. military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance"
    so it is Constructed in therms of thermal, shock and water resistance.
  • As they write it ("constructed to U.S. military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance") I would guess that is not official certified according to 810G standard. That does not mean that it does not meet this standard, it may only saves costs if it is not certified (and is "good" marketing).
  • As they write it ("constructed to U.S. military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance") I would guess that is not official certified according to 810G standard. That does not mean that it does not meet this standard, it may only saves costs if it is not certified (and is "good" marketing).

"Certified" means additional costs on production and licensing... so I believe it is like what u said, it might be up to the standard, but not "officially" approved by third party....