Battery drains too fast after solar charging

Hi guys, i noticed that after i charge my watch using solar power, it drains power much faster until it drops to the value before the solar charging started and then it goes back to drain normally. Anyone else experienced that? example: my watch drains roughly about 7% a day(24h) what gives about 1% per 3-4 hrs. Today i had it at 34% and solar charged it up to 43% but then, within first two hours it dropped to 41% which is way to fast. Any thiughts?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Check if you close the Garmin connect app from your mobile. And see if you still have this same issue.

Install "Batt Guesstimate" app. which show you detail battery drain analysis of your watch.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/572b8232-7fb6-4e4f-a938-2395d0df3c7c

• I don't think that app (or any apps) can be installed on the instinct 1 solar.  Am I wrong?

• Hi guys, i noticed that after i charge my watch using solar power, it drains power much faster until it drops to the value before the solar charging started and then it goes back to drain normally.

If you let it charge under the Sun somewhere free (not on the hand or cooled by water), the high temperature may have a negative impact on the charging. If you did not try it yet, test whether keeping the watch partially sunk in water results in a more efficient charging. Some people drop it completely into a glass of water, though I think it may be better keeping the display with the solar cells above the surface.

• That's something new. May give it a try and see what happens :)

• I checked in my watch, below are my stats using "Batt Guesstimate" app

Before closing the Garmin Connect app: for 15 minutes (-0.32%) drop in percentage

After closing the Garmin Connect app: for 15 minutes (-0.12%) drop in percentage

I checked this scenario many time. I getting the same result as shown above.

• What  meant, is that Instinct Solar 1st generation does not support the Connect IQ technolgy, hence no apps can be installed, and no "Batt Guesstimate" either. Only Instinct 2 supports CIQ. And we are here on the Instinct Solar 1st gen forum, not on the Instinct 2 forum, so it is likely the OP user has an old Instinct not supporting CIQ.

• I am experiencing exactly the same thing with my Instinct Solar.

Yesterday, I charged my watch on the sun(it was behind a window inside my house to prevent it from overheating) from 5% to 8%. Within 4 hours it was down to 5% again. Then took it took another 10 hours to drop by a single % to 4%. Garmin Connect app was closed for the duration of the test.

My watch is two weeks old and I have observed this behaviour since new. I have also observed the same on my old watches - Fenix 7 Solar as well as a Instinct 2 Solar.

• it was behind a window inside my house to prevent it from overheating

Whether is it inside or outside won't change much. The watch will heat up anyway if exposed to the direct sunlight without being cooled down either by your skin, or by water in a container. When you then put the watch on, the temperature sinks, and the battery gauge will change too.

• I have respectfully disagree with you for two reasons:
    1. Ambient temperature in the house is lower than outside.

2. Being behind a window or any transparent barrier reduces the strength of the sunlight as well as the solar power collected by the built-in panel.

Also, I am well aware how hot my watch gets after being left in direct sunlight outside I can assure you it does not get nearly as hot while behind a window.

"When you then put the watch on, the temperature sinks, and the battery gauge will change too." does not make any sense. Your body temperature is relatively high so it is not going to cool down the watch as much as you might think. Moreover, the battery charge/consumption does not simply drop this severely due to a change in its temperate by a few degrees.