HR readings too low for XC ski activity

Hi,

I noticed that the HR readings are very low when I am cross country skiing (skating) using the XC activity with my instinct solar (latest update 18.54). Very low means in the range of about 75 to max. a bit above 100 for a rather intense workout of about 1 1/2 hours - from my feeling it should be around 140 to 160. I tried different positions of the watch on my wrist (looser / tighter), turned the watch off and on, cleaned the watch thoroughly - with no significant effect. Then I tried one cross country activity by recording it as a running activity and changing it back to cross country skiing afterwards in garmin connect and there the HR readings were as expected. Therefore it seems to be some software issue with the XC ski activity as the HR sensor seems to work properly (I never had any similar issues during normal running or hiking activities).

Did anyone else experience similar phenomena?

@ garmin - could you look into that as it seems to have something to do with the evaluation algorithms, which seem to be different for running or XC ski activities.

For the moment my workaround is recording cross country skiing activities as running activities and redefining them as cross country skiing in garmin connect - so in principle that works fine, but it would of course also be nice to be able to use the dedicated XC ski activity for that purpose...

Thanks a lot for any input.

Best regards,

Tom